Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 2006 R6 Raven and Ive put on some decent mileage recently, been hitting the twisties, going on some nice rides etc...

What Ive started to notice is that my rear wheel is still momentarily locking up when making some downshifts from 2nd to 1st gear. It was my understanding that the implementation of a slipper clutch was suppose to correct this, however is this true only to an extent? IE. what are the limitations of a slipper clutch?

The bad lock only happened on 'lazy' usually high RPM downshifts where I didn't blip the throttle at all or too good, so Im just wondering if this is normal? Thanks for any and all feedback.:werd

·
Registered
96 Posts
the slipper clutch isnt a fix all solution, just like putting traction control on a bike isnt going to prevent you from highsiding the hell outta yourself.

i 'think' you can adjust the tension on that bike. (slipper clutches are adjustable and the only reason i say 'think' is b/c the only bike ive done that on is our gixxer 1k race bike.) on the gixxer clutch cover, there is a plug dead center that you can take out and either put more tension on three springs or take some off depending on what you want it to do. im not sure if there is the same access hole on a R6/R6s mainly b/c i cant remember and am to lazy to go out in the garage and look

·
Registered
331 Posts
Second to first downshifts require clutch modulation. Try a longer throttle blip... that should help settle the chassis by matching RPM's to the speed of the sprocket/wheel. Chances are if you're rolling towards a slow corner, you can stay in second gear and use the lower rpm range to drive out of the turn instead of upsetting the bike in the higher rpms of first gear. The slipper actuates during heavy downshifting from 2nd-6th gears and keeps everything in check. You should still find the friction zone with the clutch and blip the throttle while preloading the shifter and shifting. That's just proper technique from a racing perspective... practice different things in a controlled envioronment (aka parking lot or race track) and feel what inputs keep the chassis settled and what inputs get the bike unsettled.

Cheers

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine momentarily locks up too. but my brother has the R6s with out a slipper clutch and you can definitely feel the effects of not having a slipper.

bottom line: I have a very minor lock up but nothing compared to non slipper bikes. besides, locking up the back tire is fun! lol

·
.em stae 6R yM
86 Posts
My old '05 w/o slipper clutch would lock up every downshift, my '08 would only lock up from 2nd to 1st, and only momentarily. So I'd say the slipper clutch is working :)

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
There is a slipper clutch mod where you remove a few springs which makes the clutch slip more on the downshifts.

With the stock clutch the slipper clutch works better with full race tires on vs the regular street tires.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
the real problem is the slippers in the r6 arent that great to begin w/
no japanese bike comes w/ a really good slipper stock.
if it bothers u that much, look at yoyodyne or stm for the good ones.
expect to spend about 700-1000 bucks tho.
i have a yoyodyne in my Honda and it is great, its also very easy to adjust how much back torque it allows to the wheel.

there is a way to make the stock yamaha slipper slip more, tho it still wont be as nice as the aftermarket models.
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36545&highlight=adjust+slipper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts