Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not looking to start an arguement but I just want to know why someone who has alot of riding experience would pick a 600 over a 1000 or vice versa. These bikes wont be touching the track except maybe once. I personally think the 600 (all makes) is more then enough bike for street riding. Cost wise the 6 is cheaper, insurance the 6 is cheaper. Im pro 600 and think a litre bike is a waste of money for just street riding. What are your thoughts? If you were deciding between the two what made you choose the one over the other.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
One does not simply do only one trackday.......

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well when you need to travel 3 hours to a ferry, which then takes almost 2 hours to cross, then travel another couple hours to the track, pay for all of that plus tires and hotels and you don't have alot of money to spare, well I would say just doing it once to say you have and to try it makes it quite possible to only go once haha

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Well according to your "position" whats wrong with a 500cc scooter? Im positive you would not be able to ride anything faster let alone get pulled over or be able to afford insurance.
A 600 I4 on the street is a waste because it makes no usable torque where a liter bike has tons on tap. Insurance is a wash... face facts youre going to crash so you can hedge your bet with some quality gear & maybe some instruction.
Tank range... my 600 couldnt go more than 160 miles filled up where my liter bike could go ~200 miles.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Not looking to start an arguement but I just want to know why someone who has alot of riding experience would pick a 600 over a 1000 or vice versa. These bikes wont be touching the track except maybe once. I personally think the 600 (all makes) is more then enough bike for street riding. Cost wise the 6 is cheaper, insurance the 6 is cheaper. Im pro 600 and think a litre bike is a waste of money for just street riding. What are your thoughts? If you were deciding between the two what made you choose the one over the other.
One of the bigger reasons a lot of people prefer the 1000s are because of the power they make. On the highway, you are forced to drop a gear or two if you want to make a fast pass. With a 1000, you just open the throttle and make the pass. With a 600, you are typically shifting a lot more than with the 1000 in situations like that. Other than that, i really don't see any reasons other than I feel some of the literbikes look better than the 600s.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya I do like the fact you can go further on a single tank. Ive just been discussing with with my buddy who is deciding between the two so that's why I'm curious on your views on it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
600's are smaller and much easier to handle. Also, the feeling when beating 1000's on a 600 is a great feeling as well. :)

If you have a lot of straight a ways and not a lot of twisties, then the 1000 will obviously be the better bet if you want to pull away from your buddies, but if you live somewhere with a bunch of turns then I'd go with a 600. BUT if you upgrade your 600 then it can "keep up" on staighter paths.

My biggest hate about the 600 is that the gas just goes so fast. about 80-90 miles per tank :( if you baby it, around 120 miles...
just my 2 cents.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Tell your buddy there are many, many better choices for a street bike than a 1000cc or 600cc repli-racer.
Boy, isnt that a fact. LOTS of choices.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I ride a liter bike (FZ1) on the street. I like the low end torque and as said, a simple roll-on to pass anyone at any speed. I ride a R6 on the track. I can't imagine riding it on the street. No power at all below 8000 RPM. It would be a terrible street bike (for me anyway), but at high RPM I swear it is as fast as the FZ. I also have a SV650, which is good on the track and street, but not nearly as fun as the R6.

If you track at Road Atlanta or Barber a lot, a 1000 might be OK, but at TGPR or Jennings it will wear you out.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
What are your thoughts? If you were deciding between the two what made you choose the one over the other.
for the street, i wouldn't choose either one. i'd get something a little more upright to ride. the 1000 might be a little more comfortable, but that's relatively speaking. i'd be looking for just about anything non-supersport for street use.

on the track, it is a very nice feeling to out brake a 1000 into a corner after they just ran past you on the straight. i imagine it's a little humbling the other way around...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of the bigger reasons a lot of people prefer the 1000s are because of the power they make. On the highway, you are forced to drop a gear or two if you want to make a fast pass. With a 1000, you just open the throttle and make the pass. With a 600, you are typically shifting a lot more than with the 1000 in situations like that. Other than that, i really don't see any reasons other than I feel some of the literbikes look better than the 600s.
Fast pass...dropping down a gear or two? How fast of a pass are you making? I can make fast passes in 6th. I weigh 150 soaking wet, i guess that helps a lot :). For everyday normal riding and some track riding, the 600 is the sweet spot in terms of power and handling. For track only i'm sure there are tracks better suited for liter bikes. It all comes down to intended use and personal preference.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Fast pass...dropping down a gear or two? How fast of a pass are you making? I can make fast passes in 6th. I weigh 150 soaking wet, i guess that helps a lot :). For everyday normal riding and some track riding, the 600 is the sweet spot in terms of power and handling. For track only i'm sure there are tracks better suited for liter bikes. It all comes down to intended use and personal preference.
Yeah...when you're a 6'4 guy that weighs 220, the bike feels a lot more sluggish. Compared to when i was basically a skin and bone bodybag at 168, i can REALLY feel how much that additional weight pulls the bike down.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Ditto. I was also told and read elsewhere that the R6S engine was better adapted to street and has more low-end than the standard R6 bikes. If you can make enough power to lift up the front-end and do 0-60 in 3sec, I'm not sure why you'd require more.

As for the mileage, that's what gear shifts are for. If I drove my stick-shift car around in second gear as opposed to fifth, yeah I'd probably be getting half the mileage there too. A lot of the riders I hear around town are riding with the RPMs wwaayy too high for the street. Some of them sound like they're on a race track and their cruising the 40mph speed limit. So naturally their mileage will suck.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Talk like this makes me miss my scooter.... oh it was stupid fun.:(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personal preference. Plenty of racers go between 600's and liter bikes. Or even ninja 250's and liter bikes! Some people love the rush of acceleration that the liter bike has over 600's. Some people don't need all that, or they are wise enough to realize it's only going to get them in trouble faster than the 600 will.

I've had 600's and liter bikes, and a smaller bike GS500. They were all fun! The GS500 was actually the most fun around town because it was nimble and easy to steer at slower speeds. But wide open country roads are a toss up between 600 and liter bikes imo. Liter bikes could be really fun, but there is rarely an opportunity to use all they got, so it gets annoying.

For the track, I think most riders would enjoy a 600 more than a liter bike Unless you have a really big, wide track with long straights. The liter bike can be hard to control and ride, I will make the step up eventually, but I just know that it takes a lot more effort than a 600, well except you can shift it less often. R6 is peaky. Needs to be shifted a lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im kind of split on this question. I feel like a 600 takes more skill to go fast at the track. I actually really enjoyed tracking a cbr 1000 because it was so easy to go fast without having to be in the right gear, at the right rpm. The new liter bikes are are small enough that they really do feel as nimble as a 600. I will admit that the 600 still has a quicker turn in but the 1000 is no slouch. I think a 600 requires a lot more input to get the most out of it, which in return will make you a better rider. I like that I don't have to wring out a liter bike though... but don't be that guy bombing the straights...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts