Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know how some of you brave souls with ramps load your bikes in your pickup when you dont have a hill or ditch or friend to use. Have seen plenty of vids "when loading you bike or quad goes bad".

I know its not the safest thing to do but cant afford a trailer. I have a bifold extra long ramp that I use on my 4 wheeler. It is how I got it out of the trcuck when I brought it home but never have loaded it up.

I hear some say stand beside it and feather clutch. Others ride on it up the ramp. I know securing the ramp is a must to keep it from kicking out.

Any of you have a problem with the belly bottoming out at apex of ramp and tailgate?

let me hear how you do it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a f250 4wd so that makes gives me a ray of hope :) No botoming out issues at apex I assume?

My bifold ramp is about 4' wide unfoldede. Only hairy thing about it are the gaps in the ramps. One wrong step and it could be bad. thinking about screwing strip of 1/4" plywood to side I will walk on.

First time will definitely give me a pucker factor.

·
Premium Member
30,415 Posts
i have the leo full exhaust, and it bottoms out on even 1/2 ton 2wd. :( just a low hanging collector at the headers. but i can usually "muscle" it up and over that tipping point. and the few times i've had to do it without my second ramp, i just use the built in step in the tailgate. sissy or not, i love that thing! :laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,797 Posts
I use the motor to pull the bike up in.

I have done this literally at least 100 times into the back of my lifted Ram 1500. Im +3" and on 34s. I have a folding ramp that has a tiedown that I use to keep it secured by attaching it to the tow hitch. Next to that I put a 5 gallon VP Racing fuel pail that I use for a step. I then get the bike to the bottom of the ramp and all lined up straight. Give it some rpm, feather the clutch, and run it up the ramp till you get the front tire on the tail gate. Pull in the clutch and grab the front brake. Hold it there, step up on the pail, and then do the same thing an run it up till you get to where you have to step up on the tailgate. Just when you need to stop to step or whatever, just clutch and brake. You need to tie down the ramp or it might shoot out.

Since you have the wide ramp, you can omit all the misery of stepping up. Just keep an eye on your oil pan clearance. Never hurts to throw a towel down over the top of the ramp/tailgate junction to avoid scracthes.

Those plastic drive up ramps for working on cars can help with the angle too. You can find those pretty cheap.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,797 Posts
built in step in the tailgate. sissy or not, i love that thing!
Agg2001 said:
blah blah blah blah, I'm a huge fcukin pussy with a tailgate step.
Wow, its like you didnt even need me to make fun of you....:sing

·
pin it to win it
8,052 Posts
I also have a f250 4wd so that makes gives me a ray of hope :) No botoming out issues at apex I assume?

My bifold ramp is about 4' wide unfoldede. Only hairy thing about it are the gaps in the ramps. One wrong step and it could be bad. thinking about screwing strip of 1/4" plywood to side I will walk on.

First time will definitely give me a pucker factor.
I use tri fold ramp. Like you said put a board where you walk up and your good

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
less lean angle for starters.
a 2x10 allows me to load ANY bike with 2 wheels. Dirtbikes under 260lbs and quads I can load without a ramp.
Highly suggest a wheel chock of sorts. Even a knockoff baxley.

I cant tell you how many folks Ive seen over strap & under secure a bike.
And dont transport the bike in gear. Another peeve of mine. For some reason folks think having your transmission engaged helps secure the bike. (it doesnt)

you cinch the front wheel in a chock... maybe a couple tie downs on the frame to keep it in the chock... No need for gorilla tight straps or 8 different straps looking like a spider web

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,797 Posts
Never thought of that - so you are saying drive the front wheels of the truck onto the drive up ramps in order to derease angle of apex yo decrease liklihood of dragging the belly of the bike?
zackly. Same with driving up on a curb, small hill, etc. Its like having a longer ramp. Especially if you havent leveled the front of your truck and it sits raked.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,797 Posts
And plus one to baxley chocks. A locking chock makes life a lot easier since it will hold the bike up once its in. Then you're free to move around. A baxley, a canyon dancer, and two tie downs are all I ever really use. But I dont drive like an asshole either in my lifted 4x4. And don't over tighten forks either, it doesn't help if you did your job right in the first place and only puts the forks and seals under unnecessary pressure.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,797 Posts
btw, love your screenname dude. Shit cracks me up every time I see it. Same with that bighitguy because my mind always reads it as bigtitguy and I ended up wondering if he likes chicks with big tits or if he himself has big tits. And then Im like, fcuk yeah dude, WOT.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I use two wide ramps. One 6FT ramp to walk up and a 10FT to clutch the bike up. My truck is lifted 6" so its sketchy the first couple times but you get use to it.

Edit: I won't say whooooo on this forum, but i saw them place the bike in the wheel chock. Two tie downs with canyon dancers coming off the front forks AND two tie downs and EACH side of the swing arm...and the bike was in gear :laugh Paranoid much??

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,797 Posts
I use two wide ramps. One 6FT ramp to walk up and a 10FT to clutch the bike up. My truck is lifted 6" so its sketchy the first couple times but you get use to it.

Edit: I won't say whooooo on this forum, but i saw them place the bike in the wheel chock. Two tie downs with canyon dancers coming off the front forks AND two tie downs and EACH side of the swing arm...and the bike was in gear :laugh Paranoid much??
I only did that once, and it was with Johnny's mom....

·
iRun
33,226 Posts

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,243 Posts
Like the others have said, use the motor to pull it up. Another hint is to use the engine to take it out too. Just leave the bike in gear when you back it out. It's easier to slow the bike down letting the clutch out, and you can release it and take your hand off and the bike will keep itself from rolling.

I use two 8 foot long 2x8s and one of the aluminum ramp kits. Works well but the front wheel likes to slide if you get on the brakes (hence using the clutch). I have some of the non-slip sticky backed sandpaper stuff you see used on stairs, just never got around to putting it on before I sold my truck.

I've never used a tie down to secure the ramp to the truck in hundreds or loadings/unloadings. Only spit out a ramp once with the RC51, and I was lucky that it happened as the back tire rolled off the ramp into the bed. That was actually the last time I loaded a bike into the back of a truck, so I'll probably use a tie down next time.

Be prepared to get weird looks when you get good at doing it yourself. There are always a ton of guys that run over at the track when they see someone unloading a bike by themselves out of a 4x4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.