Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure a lot of us have frame sliders, but relatively few of us have a chance to "test" them out, you know what I'm saying.

Put them on a few months ago and forgot all about them. Easy installation because they were no-cuts.

Was practicing a hairpin turn. Trying to take it at a certain speed/lean angle. Hit the turn too slow but had a deep lean angle. Going about 45mph. Low sided on the left side. That whole relax your body when you're sliding works wonders, by the way. Got up and checked out the damage. Had the Lockhart Phillips Frame Slider (carbon fiber no cuts) and Darkhorse swingarm spools.

Damage to the bike:
Frame was intact - no damage. Swingarm - no damage. Engine cap/cover had huge scrapes, bar end held up but had scrapes, rear tail fairing had rash, and the shifter assembly was bent a little. All in all, the damage is about 100 bucks worth if I don't get a new tail fairing. With the tail fairing, it looks to be 300 bucks worth of damage.

Slider Damage:
The swingarm spool was shaved down (smooshed like a mushroom). The end cap on the frame slider was shaved down. I thought that by buying the carbon fiber slider that I'd only have to replace the caps instead of the whole slider, but the cap shaved down in such a way that the metal from the cap managed to go over the screws, thereby making it impossible to get the cap off. So I'll have to replace the whole damn slider.

The LP frame slider (no cut - carbon fiber) held up. It didn't bend the frame and the bracket didn't bend. No damage to the frame slider body itself - just the end cap.

All in all, it was a good slider. My only gripe is that the end cap got shaved down badly enough that you're forced to get a new slider altogether. I'd get them again, though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ed,

Seems like you came out of that one as best as possible. Glad you're not hurt and only couple hundred in damage.

How is your suspension set up?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I came out it without any problems. Totally my fault, though. I kept going around the same 180 turn over and over. Must have done it at dozen times or so, but I kept wanting to take it faster and at a lower lean angle. No big deal, though. I made it out alive.

Suspension setup is still stock. I didn't have any major problems with the stock setup, so I left it as is.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Geez, when I came out with my no-cut modular sliders all I could hear about was how they will bend and crack your engine. Oh yeah, they cause you to lose 10 HP, your hair will fall out and you'll largly become impotent. Also, a nasty rash will develop straight up the crack of your ass and will not go away until you remove them from your bike:jerkit You mean to tell me that was all bullshit and THEY ACTUALLY WORK?!!!!:scared
Be still my heart!

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
Hammy_The_Can_Man said:
Geez, when I came out with my no-cut modular sliders all I could hear about was how they will bend and crack your engine. Oh yeah, they cause you to lose 10 HP, your hair will fall out and you'll largly become impotent. Also, a nasty rash will develop straight up the crack of your ass and will not go away until you remove them from your bike:jerkit You mean to tell me that was all bullshit and THEY ACTUALLY WORK?!!!!:scared
Be still my heart!
:hammer

·
5/8/10 - NES BBQ V
3,208 Posts
Hammy_The_Can_Man said:
Be still my heart!
:roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ed said:
Oh yeah, I came out it without any problems. Totally my fault, though. I kept going around the same 180 turn over and over. Must have done it at dozen times or so, but I kept wanting to take it faster and at a lower lean angle. No big deal, though. I made it out alive.

Suspension setup is still stock. I didn't have any major problems with the stock setup, so I left it as is.
1 point for the no cuts in the ongoing cut vs. no cut debate.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The no cuts are slightly more durable but it all depends on the severity, angle and impact of the crash your in. I've seen plenty of cuts break off even in slow moving accidents so results may vary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
NOTE: this is a cross post b/t another thread, so please don't get mad, just disregard this if you read this already.

Hey guys (or gals),

As from my research, so far I only found 3 brands that makes no cuts slider for 03 R6, they are:
1) Sato (http://www.satoracing.com/r603frameslider.htm)
2) Motovation (http://www.motovationusa.com/2003r6.html#)
3) Shogun (http://www.moto911.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=56_85)

Questions:
1) Shogun makes two types of no cut slider, regular and "revolver," what is the revolver slider all about anyway?

2) Are there any other brands out there that makes no cut frame sliders? If so, can you please include a link to the manufactures homepage.

3) Out of all the no cut frame sliders, which one is the longest or protects the fairing the best? Basically I'm more concern with protecting the bike from tip overs and drops then actually accidents, since I ride like a old man.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
506 Posts
About the rash on your tail section:

Buy a bunch of different grits or sand paper, varying from 300 grit to about 2000 grit and sand out that rash and make it all smooth like. Get some Yammy touch up paint and take it to a body shop. You will save yourself about $100 when compared to buying a new tail section. HAve then spray a base coat of whatever colr your bike is and then have them spray the touch up paint on top and clear coat the shit out of it...Looks good. I did that when I went down in May. Well, I used a Toyota color, but I cant tell. It looks perfect.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i think its more the quality of material used in the actualy slider, the bracket at a certain poiint will be strong enough so im sure the devlopers tested it someone, but its the slider that matters~

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same slider, similiar speed slide and similiar results, although my shifter was bent pretty severly. LP slider did its job and was well worth the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts