Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this could come as a really stupid question in relation to the answer but I accidentaly locked up the rear wheel going really slow coming up to a set of lights.........i don't really touch the rear brake at all therefore kinda wasnt used to the "breaking" point as to when it would lock up......now the question is, is it bad to lock it up and slide the rear end "intentionlly" ?

I know the obvious answer will probably be a "yes it's bad" cause you stuff up your tires in flat spotting them etc..........maybe im wrong as it was kinda fun just messing around a lil. kinda wondering if I did it now and then would it really screw my rear tire up

·
Registered
527 Posts
If it locks give it more gas to unlock it. Just keep practicing because a lot of riders never use the rear because of that. I personally use both because that's how I taught myself. Two is better than one in my opinion. Oh it will make you tire go quicker is you lock the tire up often.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
its alright. :cheers
i know people that slide on the back tire and do a 360 sort of turn around like i use to do on my bicycle

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Sliding the back end will shorten the life of your tire, but it's good balance practice. I slide the rear end into corners, and even sometimes coming to stop lights by engine braking. If you ever do it by accident you'll already know how to handle it.

When I raced supercross I put my bike in some pretty nasty positions in the air when I practiced. That way if I got crossways I already knew how to deal with it. It seemed to work very well for me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
it is not all that bad. of course it will reduce the life of your tire. as for flat spots unless you are going really fast (50 or more) and just bounce on that rear brake lever i dont think youll notice the flat spot. it is fun to play around with tho. :mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts