Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Log book

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rhouck 
#1 ·
I'm curious to see how many of you keep log books of services you do on your bike, changes you make and the effects of said changes. I've done handfuls of track days now and can't remember what I've changed. Coming back to a track that I haven't been to in 2 years sucks as I don't remember what I did and how it felt last time.

I just created a log book today after my last Sunday's track day. It has weather conditions, hot tire temps, suspension settings and general how I thought the bike felt.

Do most people do service intervals based on distance or are things like brake fluid, fork oil changes, and bearing re-grease things that are just pre-season tasks? It may be overkill, but atleast i'll know exactly how long in both distance and time it's been things have been changed.

#2 ·
I have an app on my phone that I use to track maintenance.

On the race bike, there's a bunch of stuff that I just do once a year, and then stuff that happens every weekend or two.

Data from the lap timer gets saved on the PC so I've got a good history of my lap times & telemetry. I don't mess with my suspension frequently enough that I've bothered to start logging that.

A couple years ago I did go through the trouble of making a spreadsheet for tracking all that stuff - should be posted in this forum, but I never really went through with putting it to use.

#7 ·
#6 ·
lol, this was going to be my exact reply to you, but you beat me to it.

Focus on yourself, on improving your skills and don't worry about messing around with every little thing on the bike. The bike is already faster than you are.

Have your suspension dialed in by a pro, get the ergonomics (clip-ons, foot pegs, levers, etc) where you want them then don't worry about it. Constantly tweaking every setting you can just distracts from the task at hand.

#8 ·
I log whatever service is done on the bike like I do with any other vehicle.

As far as track notes, at the end of the track day I write down whatever I learned, such as better reference points, advice I get from coaches and faster riders and the base pressures that the tire tech told me to run at.

I don't race and my track days are always at Barber, so I don't deal with multiple combinations of tire pressure and suspension settings.

#9 ·
I did for my car. Not my bike. Too much work has been done to my bike to log everything.

#10 ·
I have a google doc to track maintenance. It's pretty bare bones, but helps keep track of how long things wear out roughly (and prevent the "when did I last change the oil?" question). Easy to update via laptop or phone.

I don't bother tracking specifics like suspension, air temp, etc. Maybe one day, but I don't really touch anything with respect to setup between tracks. Maybe if I start playing with gearing changes I'll consider it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.