Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my R6 a few weeks ago, and I'm going back to school in PA in a couple months. I live in Boston now, and its about a 4 and a half to 5 hr drive in my car, but I'm usually cruising at 80 or 90. How big of a pain in the arse is a trip like that on a bike? I'm sure a lot of you have done trips longer...I'm just worried that I'm gonna be going so much slower than in my car cause the winds gonna get to me after a while.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
So I just got my R6 a few weeks ago, and I'm going back to school in PA in a couple months. I live in Boston now, and its about a 4 and a half to 5 hr drive in my car, but I'm usually cruising at 80 or 90. How big of a pain in the arse is a trip like that on a bike? I'm sure a lot of you have done trips longer...I'm just worried that I'm gonna be going so much slower than in my car cause the winds gonna get to me after a while.
your a$$ will probably be sore from the hard seat on r6

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
I put a Gel seat on my and it helps a little but still hurts after a long ride. Can see doing maybe 3 hours but not so sure about a 4 to 5 hour drive.

·
What about what?
6,755 Posts
I have done rides that long, not too bad. When you stop to fill up for gas, take time to stretch out the muscles and let yourself recover a bit. The worst problem for me was the wrists getting a little sore after time, relaxing for a bit when stopping for fuel helped. Maybe throw in an extended stop to grab something to eat, give yourself a little extra time to recover before you continue on your trip. All in all, not too bad.

Edit: The one real negative, highway riding a bike is boring as hell. The whole time you're thinking, where are the corners? After all, isn't that what these bikes are for?

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is a one time deal right? Not like an every day thing?

If so:

1. Take plenty of breaks.
2. Drink a lot of water.
3. Don't hold your "things" in, go to the bathroom when you have the urge.
4. Bring an Ipod/mp3 player.
5. Utilize your legs and back vs your wrists for holding the weight.

We ride a lot with our MC and it's not just doable it can be fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a one time deal right? Not like an every day thing?
Yeah, this isn't gona be my daily commute to work...my buddy would probably be driving my car down, so I was planning on stopping every hour or so...I dunno about the ipod though...kind of scary not hearing whats around you when sitting on a moving rocket

·
Registered
796 Posts
get ready to be bored and sore. i did a 2 hour highway drive on mine a few times to get the bike back and forth to school. bring an ipod and try to do whatever you need to stay focused.

the only way these rides would be fun is going 140 the entire way there, but unless you're crazy i doubt you'll try that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, this isn't gona be my daily commute to work...my buddy would probably be driving my car down, so I was planning on stopping every hour or so...I dunno about the ipod though...kind of scary not hearing whats around you when sitting on a moving rocket
I used to think so too, until I tried it on a 4 1/2 hr ride. Now I ride with headphones in all the time. Fact is, even without headphones, at highway speeds you cant hear aynthing but your engine anyway. If someone honks, you will still be able to hear it unless you have the ipod volume maxed out.

I think I pay better attention to what is going on around me since I've initiated the headphones. It quiets down your ride and allows you to concentrate on the movement of cars etc around you(me).

Also, I ride with some ex-racers who have been riding for 30+ yrs. and they never leave the driveway without ear plugs.

Just my $0.02

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Not a problem, the above advice is good. Remember don't sit in the same position too long more your ass fore and aft. For long trips like that I use a throttle lock also, gives you a chance to rest your right hand. If you don't have ear plugs or ear phones that seal around the ears the wind noise will leave your ears ringing at the end of the day. Wear safety gear.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Did about 14 hours from VA to FL. You dont notice it after 4 or so hours, get a cramp buster or throttle lock and you'll be surprised how much less stress your entire body will feel. I had a tank bag, back pack, and tail bag. I was doin about 100 all the way down 95 with not 1 cop in sight. Hit I10 in Jax and rode that about 3 hours to SR85 and was home within the hour after that.
Had my iPod BLARING, only problem when I finished my ride I couldn't hear A DAMN THING, pretty sure there was some resulting ear damage. But oh well, I didn't have much of a choice. I think I spent less than $150 on gas though!:lmao

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm going to Party Cove at Lake of the Ozarks the end of this month. It's a 7 and a half hour ride each way. We've got about seven riders going down for a week so I don't think it'll be that bad. I've done 3 hour trips with ease.

·
My Champ. Rocks her socks
144 Posts
i've road from central illinois to indianapolis before (about 3hrs in a car doing 70-75, 2 1/2hrs doing 75-85)
on the bike i had my backpack, gear, headphones for ipod in my helmet side.. so i can still hear everything and yet still hear music. (nothing in my ear)
01' seats are good so i didnt have a a$$ hurting problem. but i did have my wrist hurt a bit the next day..(no throttle lock)
did it once (round trip) and ever sence then i just load the sum btch in the truck and drive back.
gas may suck, but I74 isnt the smoothest road for a 3 hr trip...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not saying it's not do-able but it will make you sore all over. I know coz I live in south NJ (near philly) & have gone to Bridgeport CT (3hr ride). I say this for the following reasons:
1. 95 in NYC (Cross-bronx expressway to GWB to NJTP) is maddening with bad roads & a lot of traffic. So while you r sore after a 2.5hr drive, you have to be extra attentive with stop & go traffic. If you have to, plan in such a way that you cross NYC real early in day or real late in night.
2. NJTP also blows after exit 8 (where truck & car lanes merge). Plus NJ drivers are rude & might not let you easily split lanes or give you way. Remember that on weekend all the shore (beach for you non NJ peeps) traffic piles up.
3. Tons of trigger happy cops in NJ in the summer, so don't be speeding to reach in a hurry.

But if you have no choice the guys above gave some good advice with breaks & stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Even with noise cancellation earphones, you will hear plenty.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
To those of you that have a gel seat, where'd you get it from? & how much did it cost?
I made my own :toocool:

You can use your seatcovers that are on there now, you just have to CAREFULLY undo the uphostery staples holding it on.

but I bought some new ones (ya know for chunks of heavy duty material this shiz aint cheap:()
and I bought some bulk gel material online kemmlerproducts.com and I haven't done the whole job yet, but I will be when I finish my deployment:nocontrol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts