Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for my first 6 or 7 track days, I had Michelin Pilot Power 2ct tires but they were failing me with grip. Then I bumped up to Michelin Pilot Cup take offs for a few td's, and didn't have any problems except waiting for them to heat up since I don't have warmers yet. Got pretty good wear out of them. Kept the Cup on the front and put a new Power One on the rear, and the power one only lasted one track day, and I was sliding all over the place. I know the faster you get, the more you spend, but I can't afford a new rear tire every track day. So, what tires have you guys had good success with that lasted a while? I think the Power Cup was just a fluke because they are a softer compound than the Power One.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
It all depends on pace. You could try trackday slicks but they won't have the traction of the Power Cups.

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The track i'll finish out the season on is pretty much brand new, and destroys tires because it has a ton of grip. I'm just not sure dropping back down to a 2ct would be able to handle it. Goal is to bump up to advanced group next trackday if I can get a coach to bump me before my tires crap out again, if that helps out with the pace question.

·
5,058 Posts
You shouldn't be burning through a brand new Power Cup just looking to bump to advanced. Check your suspension and pressures, you might be getting cold tear from not running warmers too.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
I am upper level advanced and depending on the track can get a 2 sprint races, and a bunch of instructing on the cups. Like Merc has said, what pressure? and what is your suspension doing?

FWIW I ran a set of super bike pros in advanced with out issue. I also ran a guy on a set of cups down running at a very good pace and I was on a Pirelli Dragon SC2 (a street/tackday tire)

·
5,058 Posts
I am upper level advanced and depending on the track can get a 2 sprint races, and a bunch of instructing on the cups. Like Merc has said, what pressure? and what is your suspension doing?

FWIW I ran a set of super bike pros in advanced with out issue. I also ran a guy on a set of cups down running at a very good pace and I was on a Pirelli Dragon SC2 (a street/tackday tire)
You also love to drift your bike through corners :321

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
You shouldn't be burning through a brand new Power Cup just looking to bump to advanced. Check your suspension and pressures, you might be getting cold tear from not running warmers too.
The heat cycling from running a race tire without warmers is also going to kill it a lot faster too, isn't it?

·
5,058 Posts
The heat cycling from running a race tire without warmers is also going to kill it a lot faster too, isn't it?
Heat cycling hardens the rubber making it less grippy, but I haven't seen anything about it wearing faster because of not running warmers.

·
16,745 Posts
You also love to drift your bike through corners :321
I just let the bike do work, I tend to take naps while racing...
Yep! with most race tires after 8 heat cycles it is DONE!
Heat cycling hardens the rubber making it less grippy, but I haven't seen anything about it wearing faster because of not running warmers.
Also true, the rubber will get harder, and it could wear faster since it is not getting as heak soaked as it should :)

·
5,058 Posts
I just let the bike do work, I tend to take naps while racing...

Yep! with most race tires after 8 heat cycles it is DONE!

Also true, the rubber will get harder, and it could wear faster since it is not getting as heak soaked as it should :)
And this is why you're the tire vendor and I just try to kill myself on every "Turn 1" we go into.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. It'll still have tread, but all the oil comes out of it. If you're not running warmers, every session ends up being a heat cycle, instead of one heat cycle for the whole day - which might explain why the OP cooked his tire in a single day.

·
5,058 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. It'll still have tread, but all the oil comes out of it. If you're not running warmers, every session ends up being a heat cycle, instead of one heat cycle for the whole day - which might explain why the OP cooked his tire in a single day.
I got the impression that he's talking about physical tire wear, not loss of traction.

·
16,745 Posts
exactly.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
The Pirelli "redstripe" trackday slicks hold up pretty damned well and are good for a reasonable pace. A buddy who's fairly quick (occasional AMA supersport racer) is a control rider for a track day group ... he got a whole season (8?) of track days on a single set. They were shredded, but still able to run respectable lap times.

Red stripes move around quite a bit, but very predictably to the paint that it's fun. Probably adequate for all by the faster guys in the "A group."

Anyway, well worth the money spent

·
Registered
507 Posts
Slicks.

Friend of mine gets 300 laps off the rear tire of his Bridgestone R-10 slicks after flipping them... pretty fast rider, usually wins his club races or finishes Top 3.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts