Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Robert and I am a new member here. I have just sold my Ninja 300 that I started on and will be upgrading to either an R6 or CBR600. I have both the bikes picked out, both are 2012 and in black. I am coming from an ABS model 300 and neither of these SS's are ABS. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of being riding or buying the R6?

I am 5'8 and I've sat on the bike and I am on my tippy toes :) Most of my riding will be in the city but straight lined. From the limited research I've done it seems the CBR is touted for its daily drivability in the city, whereas the R6 is a better track bike. I do like both bikes quite a bit but I am slightly partial to the looks of the R6. That said, I will drive both and choose whichever is best for my needs- but I'd like to get the opinions first hand from some riders here.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi! I just traded up to the R6 from a 13 ninja 300 (I'm still trying to sell it), but I am really happy with the R6. I've never ridden a CBR so I can't give you advice on which is better, but I can tell you a bit about my R6 experience. I am 5'5" so I'm having to get used to being on my toes as well. It's really not that bad once you get used to it. I love the R6 for riding in the mountains or around town. I even have clip ons on my ninja but the r6 is much more comfortable in the mtns, none of that awkward sitting up position. After riding my r6 for a few days I got back on the ninja and it feels like a tiny baby bike so I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever you chose.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
what you stated is true OP. seem like you've done your homework :) cbr is alittle lower so you dont have to tippy toe but you can just one leg the r6. looks cooler when your on a stop anyways ha

both bikes will have more than enough power/torque than you will know what to do with it.so, just pick whatever looks better for you and be on your merry way...

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
well first... you should ride both, not drive.
2nd the stock bar position is uncomfortable unless youre built like a 12yr old

As a new rider...why are you even bothering to rely on auxilliary systems to develop your riding skills? Either bike doesnt need ABS for the simple reason the brakes are enough to send you over the bars or lock the rear with ease. Thats in stock form... now imagine what happens when you put some heat to them. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well first... you should ride both, not drive.
2nd the stock bar position is uncomfortable unless youre built like a 12yr old

As a new rider...why are you even bothering to rely on auxilliary systems to develop your riding skills? Either bike doesnt need ABS for the simple reason the brakes are enough to send you over the bars or lock the rear with ease. Thats in stock form... now imagine what happens when you put some heat to them. :D
Yeah I am really bad about saying drive when I mean ride haha. But I know what you mean about the ABS. Personally I don't even like the way it behaves on the 300. I can get the tires to skid and it feels like I could stop it a lot faster if it wasn't ABS. I just don't want to lock up the tires on a bigger and nicer bike that I am not used to controlling

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi! I just traded up to the R6 from a 13 ninja 300 (I'm still trying to sell it), but I am really happy with the R6. I've never ridden a CBR so I can't give you advice on which is better, but I can tell you a bit about my R6 experience. I am 5'5" so I'm having to get used to being on my toes as well. It's really not that bad once you get used to it. I love the R6 for riding in the mountains or around town. I even have clip ons on my ninja but the r6 is much more comfortable in the mtns, none of that awkward sitting up position. After riding my r6 for a few days I got back on the ninja and it feels like a tiny baby bike so I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever you chose.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Great post Outlaw. I see you are in South Carolina, what part? I am in Columbia. We should ride if you are close! I used to live in Greenville and man the R6 would have been absolutely perfect for that area.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Yeah I am really bad about saying drive when I mean ride haha. But I know what you mean about the ABS. Personally I don't even like the way it behaves on the 300. I can get the tires to skid and it feels like I could stop it a lot faster if it wasn't ABS. I just don't want to lock up the tires on a bigger and nicer bike that I am not used to controlling
It works best in wet weather and ice. My buddies Connie has abs & traction control and he can ride it over a really long patch of ice w/o issues.

The R6 is easier to modify. The CBR has that ungodly huge exhaust. I dont like the dash on the cbr. My R6 pulls alot harder than a similar prepped CBR.
Either bike can go 10s of thousands of street miles. Saw an 07 R6 with 65k on it the other day. Looked showroom clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts