Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So im now seriously looking at buying a track bike because i got the bug.

anyhow i want to spend as little as possible yet get a great bike and i have come accross some 05's one is stock and one is mainly stock with a two bros slip on both for about 5000 canadian, the full stock one only has 15,000 kms on it and the other has a bit more like20-30.

The upside to a 05 as aposed to a 06+ is i could turn it into a track bike for about the same price as it would cost me to buy a 06 and up alone before even tracking it.

So my questions are as followed,

1. would a 05 make a decent first track bike?
2. what if any engine mods/changes should i make (other then exhaust and filter)
3. Will i enjoy building a track bike and racing it as much as i think i will haha.

Anyhow thanks in advance and if all is good i may go take a look at it next days off.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
1. R6s in general are good trackbikes, regardless of year IMO

2. Don't need too many engine mods as a new track rider. I would focus on suspension, and handling. Good grips, levers, damper, etc.

3. From what I've seen it's kinda of a love-hate relationship. You'll love modding it and racing it, but you'll hate how you're gonna spend all your money on it. That first time you add up all you've spent on a track day/bike can be a shocker .

If I were building a newer track bike (I'm going almost full track bike on my 2002), I'd go for the 2006 over the 2005 personally. 7 more HP and a slipper clutch.

·
Suk it, Lee
19,071 Posts
08+ If that's not an option, 06, 07, for a track bike.

... Wait, you already know how I feel about it. :laugh

If you're spending 5 gees on an 05, might as well get a newer one. Can find them for that price.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes your gayness i know how you feel, so i messaged the guy with the 06 R6 to see if he still had it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want one soooooo bad haha, wish i could get out the july 1 and 2nd track days with you Ryan but ill let you catch up haha, but i will make my way out to the track on the 6 to see what your up to.

·
Suk it, Lee
19,071 Posts
I'm going to be pretty lonely out there. :laugh A few friends MIGHT come with me, but doubtful. No one wants to go anywhere on Canada day. So I'll just have to get wasted in the camp ground by myself.. :laugh

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha i wish i didnt get boonstock tickets now haha I wanna be at the track sooooo bad, but im commited to boonstock now so.....

·
Hard Parked
2,154 Posts
I would stick with 06+ a few people that I know who have had both says it's much more stable through a corner and easier to flick in.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
some good info, and some that needs a bit more clarification :) !
The 05r6 is a great bike! I suggest this and the 03-04 ALL the time to new track riders, or someone wanting to go racing on a bit more of a budget.
NOW, to clarify something in an earlier post.. The 05 can make the same HP up top as the 06-07, and makes MORE in the midrange. The 08+ got that hp back (variable stack v-stacks but motor is 99% same as 06-07). This isn't just reading i did and am reposting, this is known info from many racers and builders, and my own bikes that all had similar supersport builds (nothing major motor work wise though).

I think the op was on the right track, get the 05, saves money vs. the 06 3rd gen and in my opinion, is a BETTER track bike. The 3rd gen has better aerodynamics, so performs better at some tracks with high speed sections.. like Daytona, Road america, but the 05 is just very hard to beat as it has a strong motor, the bigger throttle bodies gave it a bit more than teh 03-04 (same exact motor though), the brakes are as good as ANY current bike as they went to the cast brembo master cyl and radial brakes with bigger rotors..

If you don't go 05 (or "S" model, or 03-4) i would save your money for an 08 or newer. Avoid the 06-07 is my opinion.. :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
... Sell them. It's a stupid name any way.
I have friends that are going with me and i have the transportation, and it is something i want to go to (drunk fest and lots of good music) i still say you should come to the aug and sept back to back ones, im booking time off for them :fact

1 - 20 of 46 Posts