Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance took the rider course last year in september and i've been trying to help her learn on my 06 R6 but its too tall for her and she doesnt feel comfortable with not being able to put her feet on the ground if she gets scared. She sat on all the new 08 bikes and the only ones she felt comfortable on were the R6s and the 600 GSXR. The new R6s has the same height as the 03 to 05 R6 at 32.3 :fact

What i'm getting at is do you think this is a good bike to start out with for her, i know the 03 to 05's i guess have a lil more torque and i dont want it getting out form under her! We're not looking for somethng mod'd out or anything, maybe at the most just frame sliders but thats it.

We live just south of baltimore in maryland and i've looked craigslist and cycletrader and gonna go thru ebay today.

Looking for your thoughts and if you're in our area a hook up with a bike for sale :D

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
R6S homie! :fact Haven't we been over this before? :confused:

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Heres a few pics of her. She's very athletic, coach's softball and plays. She's abt 5'4.5" and about 130. And she has the mental compacity to ride, she's not just a ditsy blonde, she had here degree and used to race VW's. She even got to go to a course thru the army a few weeks ago to learn how to ram cars and escape car chase's....talk about being jealous haha.

From her mom's wedding a few years ago

coaching softbll

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yeah, but she has a few grand cash and wants one now to learn on before she goes and gets a brand new bike. The 08 R6s is the same style bike as the 2nd gen R6(03 to 05). And they are the same seat height, so i'm thinking about looking for a 03-05 "6" instead of the R6s. :popcorn:

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the R6s didnt come out until the 2006 season. Looking to spend less than 5 g's, so i'm leaning towards and older R6 with no mods

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
Chicks riding sportbikes = HOT!

Go with the bike she is most comfortable with. Then later on she can get another bike and be ok with a taller bike. Later she will get a bigger bike and not have a problem standing on her tip toes or leaning the bike to one side to have one foot flat on the ground.

Might even want to think about having her sit on a cruiser. It would save money on insurance and she would still be learning to ride a motorcycle. Keep that for a year or two and then upgrade to a sportbike.

I am old getting closer to a cruiser myself. :p

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^ my issue is i havent rode a 03 to 05 R6. Is it gonna be too quick for her verse's an R6s. We all know here by now that learning on a bike is alot about getting to know the bike and THROTTLE CONTROL....i'm affraid with the 2nd having torquier gearing that she might have problems verse's the R6s. But i think i can find a 03 to 05 "6" for cheaper than a 06 or newer R6s.....

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
an R6 is a lot of bike for a first bike to learn on. i'm 5'8" and i tippy toe my 05.
yes true but your bike is nicely mod'd i must say. she wont need all that, nor would i want her to have it. But i'm thinking cost here...i'm sure i can pick up a 2nd gen 6 verse's a 06 or newer R6s

·
Fuller
225 Posts
you should get your bike lowered and give it to ur girl...and then you should get a new bike...take a look the pics of my r6....my 5'1 girlfriend rides it no problem...and it doesnt ruin handling as much as everyone thinks it does...

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
That is an option too having it lowered. Then when she is use to it raise it back to stock height.

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you should get your bike lowered and give it to ur girl...and then you should get a new bike...take a look the pics of my r6....my 5'1 girlfriend rides it no problem...and it doesnt ruin handling as much as everyone thinks it does...
Wow thats crazy i've looked through some pics on here and actually seen your bike yesterday and showed the lil woman how slammed it was...ur tail practicly sits on your hugger haha. I dont think she will be draggin her knee in the twisties any time soon and i've talked with her about giving her my bike and me getting another one. As long as the bike still handles safely and she wont have any problems i think i would go for lowering it.

What lowering kit did you use? Is it adjustable? How many inches did ya go?

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Get w/e's cheap dood. My girl IS the epitome of a dumb blonde, she scares the sh!t out of me when she drives, and she wants a bike but I doubt I'll ever get her one, if she gets one she's gettin it herself...

·
Fuller
225 Posts
seriously....if she's already been riding your bike then she will be more comfortable to learn on a bike she's been riding...especially if lowered...i mean, my 5'1 g/f nearly 100lbs rides it like a champ...then what better excuse for you to get a new bike....hahaha

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^ well she hasnt been riding my bike up and down the streets. I let her roll around this big parking lot aroun dthe corner from the house and she's ok it just scares her that she cant touch the ground if she needs to stop real quick or something. so shes not comfortable with my bike as much....but its an idea

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get w/e's cheap dood. My girl IS the epitome of a dumb blonde, she scares the sh!t out of me when she drives, and she wants a bike but I doubt I'll ever get her one, if she gets one she's gettin it herself...
yeah she's paying for this one so i want to get her a good deal, and my girl drives like a nut too man, but she's good i'll give her that. she raced VW's and has been through rider courses for cars and the msf so i trust her :popcorn:

·
Fuller
225 Posts
honestly, im not certain what exact kit it is, i know it has the lowering links in it, and it is fully adjustable...believe it or not, I actually purchased my bike from my girlfriend w/ 900miles, she claimed she didnt have time to ride it...but i was convinced she was nervous to ride it...in fact thats how we met....when she bought it brand new the dealer lowered it for her i believe about 2.5in. But if you look on your triple tree's you can slide them down the forks...and for the rear, just lower the coilover with the coilover wrench that came in your tool kit....since we started dating ive gotten her very confident with riding...and we'll go on rides together all the time....def a lot of fun and worth it!!!!

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^ haha nice, now thats a keeper!

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
yeah she's paying for this one so i want to get her a good deal, and my girl drives like a nut too man, but she's good i'll give her that. she raced VW's and has been through rider courses for cars and the msf so i trust her :popcorn:
Wish I could say the same:nono
My girl is a crappy driver...end of story...

That still confuses me why womens insurance is cheaper when the department of highway safety now states that women account for approx 2/3 of all accidents on the roads...
Wonder when insurance companies are going to adjust?
Also stated is that of the accidents that women were involved in approx 80% was due in part to cell phone usage...
I will sit at lights and count all the people I see drivin on their cellies and i swear to got all but one of them are women...every close call I had was a chick. I chew Jenna's ASS when she drives on her cell man, I tell her to think about it, that one day she might be chattin it up and cream a fellow rider just like me...
Phew...sorry for that rant! lol

Attachments

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i hear ya bro. i give my lady shit for drivin too fast and she's startin to slow it down, only does 5 to 10 over now. these peeps here in DC drive like [email protected] tards i swear. they all drive like 90-95 and she worries that if i lay it down the people behind me wont stop....i would kick someones teeth in if i seen them run over a laid down biker..

thats worth going to jail for for sure :fact

1 - 20 of 23 Posts