Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have all my gear and some good experience on the street. And ready for my first track day, should I invest in some track plastic just for track days? Where is my closest soonest track day? I live an hour south of st.louis. I have been researching just can't really find anything.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
I think you'll be fine without track plastics. Just ride safe and enjoy your first track day. If there is a suspension vendor at your track day, I definitely definitely recommend getting your suspension tuned. One of the best mods you can do to your bike for stupid cheap :fact

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use to race motocross and so suspension is the first thing I have noticed, adjustments and situations are completely different and it's something I'm trying to learn now, I want to pick up racing soon, Its something I've always wanted to do, I'm a motorcycle mechanic, motocross tuning is almost natural to me but sportbikes is something I have yet to learn and experience. I'm just trying to pick up some pointers.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
I'm new to sportbike suspension, how good is the stock valving? Does anybody change it?
you would not notice the difference between a well tunes stock suspension and an aftermarket one till you get to atleast high intermediate to advanced levels speeds in a trackday. Depending on your weight, stock suspension would serve okay (170-200lbs rider weight w/o gear).

what i meant to say was, the difference is more noticeable with hgher loads on the suspension...faster speeds = higher braking force, more load on the front; fast corner exits = more load on the rear shock

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What tracks are closest to stl? I have been looking but can't really find any solid dates, I want a track day soon willing to drive

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bike handles well with aggressive street riding on new roads, any imperfections and its all over the place.

·
Registered
804 Posts
What tracks are closest to stl? I have been looking but can't really find any solid dates, I want a track day soon willing to drive
Alot of guys around me go to hallet alot they seem to love it.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
He wasn't being a douche...
Anyway I'm just like you, bike mechanic, raced mx, and starting to do track days.

Stock valves are good enough for now, but have it set up at the track if possible. No need for track fairings yet either unless you just have deeper pockets.

Like they said look for a local forum and they should help you out with dates and all that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not trying to be a prick, sorry just hate listening to customers talk about what they read on forums. Just trying to get the best idea of what to expect

·
My R6 eats you.
7,565 Posts
I didn't ask for a douche bag answer so dont give one.
Well I could have pointed out the fact that you're a motorcycle mechanic who apparently doesn't know dick about motorcycle suspension. :poke Search feature, give it a try.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
What to expect...the most fun you ever had in your life lol.
Compared to mx. It's more finesse and less throwing the bike around. But I'm sure you know this.
If you look around the track section on the forum you will get a good idea of what goes on

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Being a motorcyle mechanic is far from knowing how to tune a sportbike for a road course. I know how to tune mx suspension because I raced mx for a few years, if I knew I wouldn't have asked, I was stating that I am a motorcycle mechanic so you knew that I was Not completely incapable of adjusting suspension. I have seen rebound and compression adjusters that were broke off because people thought they should be tight just cause they are screws.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,565 Posts
I've been posting this video a lot lately, but it's great for getting your suspension setup. Once the sag and preload settings are dialed in, you're good to go aside from some little tweaks here and there depending on how it feels out on the track.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
There's a great stickied thread in the Suspension section that describes how to get a good baseline setup. I'd go check that out first if you want to start messing around with your setup.

Quick google search for track days near St. Louis brought me here:
http://www.mcraracing.com/ttt.htm

Hopefully that helps you get started.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts