Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some rear sets for my 04, getting ready to try out the track next season. I'm looking for some honest opinions here, preferably from those that do track-ride....

I like the way the Gilles look (I know looks don't get ya times), and hear good things about the company as a whole, but someone brought up what I think is a valid point..., go with something cheaper, cause you will go down, and they'll work the same.

He recommended the Vortex adjustable set, which I think I'm leaning towards now, because I'm told that replacement parts are easier to come by, maybe even at the track, where as I'd have to wait for parts from companies like Gilles. And no, I don't have really deep pockets, money is somewhat an issue for me.

I have to take folks opinions right now cause I haven't been there..., but I hate to go off of 1 track club's opinion..., any other thoughts? Sorry for the length....

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts
Woodcraft, but I think they are not adjustable. They cost about the same as the Vortex adjustables.

·
Registered
173 Posts
r6dirtydave said:
He recommended the Vortex adjustable set, which I think I'm leaning towards now, because I'm told that replacement parts are easier to come by, maybe even at the track, where as I'd have to wait for parts from companies like Gilles. And no, I don't have really deep pockets, money is somewhat an issue for me.
that is all correct, Vortex rearsets a a great value fo the money and fairly tough. They dont break as easily as some other I have seen.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
okay i bought a set of vortex rear sets, i still have not installed it yet.

i would say gilles is one of the best. i like the notched pegs. so when you do drop it and the pegs scrape. the likely chance of you still able to ride home is high, because of the break away point. plus most of my friends swear by that brand.

i should have waited and got those instead.

·
Mad Modder
198 Posts
Sato Racing rearsets :naughty

best there is in my opinion. woodcraft or Attack would be a close second.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
kind of off topic but how do aftermarket rear sets differ from stock besides being adjustable and looks I guess im asking what is the point of changing them how are they more functional over stock

·
Mad Modder
198 Posts
my reasons:

1-most aftermarket sets are break-away. meaning if you take a spill, only part of the set will break and you just replace that part. and since it has built in weak points, the rear set will break instead of damaging your frame.
2-weight. aftermarket rear-sets weigh a ton less than factory stuff.
3-foot position. they typically move your foot up and back. i drag hard parts all over the place. once i get some aftermarket sets it should cure a lot of the problem. (some of the problem is me not getting my ass off the seat far enough)
4-better footing. you can get a much better grip on aftermarket pegs than you can the factory rubber pegs.

im sure other people have their own reasons, but those are mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts