Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about getting the ninja 250. My cousin was looking into buying it and it got me thinking. I talked to my friends about it. Most of them said save for r6. I wasn't surprise when one of advised for the liter bike.

I'm thinking about taking an extra few steps before the R6. Buying gear first will give me time to think about which bike i should get. I remember one of the members here have a ninja 250 and like to know what you think about it. Lastly, are frame sliders available for the 250 bikes? Thanks for the opinions

Newton

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is just my opinion so do with it what you want. I would go take the MSF class. You need some gear but not a bike to take it. After the class if you feel like you'll do just fine then get the R6. My first bike ever was a Suzuki SV650S. I learned on it by myself and I did fine. A lot of people said get a smaller bike and I didn't listen but I was also smart enough not to think I could ride a week after having it too. I don't think everyone needs a small bike to start, some do, some don't. I think the class would help you decide (you ride 250s there).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's something I didn't think about. I took MSF couple months back and it was a blast. Definitely learned a lot and feel a lot more confident afterwards. I believe I did well at it. One of the instructors there said that I did really well on one of the turning exercises. Thanks for the advise.

·
Ore wa Gandamu da
360 Posts
Take the course and put your money toward something you want...

250 bikes aren't worth really put money toward...
You mean other than the fact that a 250 can be bought and then sold later for basically what you paid for it?

No, you don't NEED a small bike like a 250 or 500 to learn but you don't NEED the extra power and displacement of a bigger bike to learn either. It works both ways.

This is an R6 forum and numerous members started on an R6 so you're going to get alot of responses telling you supersports bikes are totally fine as starter bikes.

The information is all out there. Take it for what you want.

http://home.earthlink.net/~thebradfords/startsmall.htm

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
Get yourself the bike you wanted.....and learn from there,you go down...you go down, keep your chin up and brush the dirt off your butt, and go riding agian...you only get better after that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My R6 was my first bike EVER... First bike I was ever on. Never even rode a dirtbike. I took the MSF course and i was good to go. Seat time!!! Get a R6... the bikes you rode at the MSF course were probably 250s.

·
In Search Of...
91 Posts
I give you props for even considering a 250... Most male egos (and peer pressure) won't let them think that anything under a 600 is even fathomable.

The truth is, the Ninja 250 is Kawasaki's best selling bike every year... this year is no different, with the drastic styling updates they've given it. Looks GORGEOUS...

It's cheap, and like someone stated earlier, you'll get great resale value. Once you feel like you've outgrown it, THEN step up... but as a new rider, I don't think it could hurt you one bit to start off with the 250

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. Im reading the link Joe posted and its a good read.

I have yet to see the new ninja 250 in person. I've seen it online and it looks very nice.

As I said before, I did take the MSF course but it was a couple months back. For me now, thats a couple months of no riding experience prior. Its one of the reason Im thinking about it.

·
AFM #327
15,210 Posts
I had been riding ~10 yrs in my country, but I took the MSF course and learned quite a bit. Here, started on a SV650 naked, low insurance cost and v-twin torque. A very easy bike to control. U cud get a used one cheap (a lil more than the ninja 250). Search for a good deal always.. there's tonsuv of buying tips on this forum... read them.. they help.:toocool:

·
RU R6
1,207 Posts
If I were to get something smaller, I'd just go with a 50cc scooter so I wouldn't have to mess with registering it and stuff. It'd be more convenient to use that to go to the store to get beers vs. jumping in your car or gearing up and taking the moto.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Ninja 250s are an absolute hoot to ride. Try pinning the throttle wide open with a supersport without a)scaring yourself silly and/or b)keeping your license. When you're grown up and ready to learn about getting around corners really well you'll appreciate the charms of a 250. If you're just interested in going really fast in a straight line and maybe moderately-half-fast in a curve, then a 600 or bigger will suit you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you think r6 is way too fast for you, it probably is. I had no problem starting off on a 6. I'd say it's a great starter bike for some people.

It really all depends how you're gonna ride it. If you are gonna hang in the slow lane, 250 should be just fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I were to get something smaller, I'd just go with a 50cc scooter so I wouldn't have to mess with registering it and stuff. It'd be more convenient to use that to go to the store to get beers vs. jumping in your car or gearing up and taking the moto.
:lmao:werd

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
I think an R6 would be fine for you. Anyone can ride a bike, you just gotta respect what the bike can do. You can hurt yourself just as fast on a 250 as a super sport. Go with the R6, you won't regret it. Just make sure you respect the bike, and the power it has.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ninja 250s are an absolute hoot to ride. Try pinning the throttle wide open with a supersport without a)scaring yourself silly and/or b)keeping your license. When you're grown up and ready to learn about getting around corners really well you'll appreciate the charms of a 250. If you're just interested in going really fast in a straight line and maybe moderately-half-fast in a curve, then a 600 or bigger will suit you.
Yeah...what he said.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It all depends on what your comfortable with. If you have any experience on a bike. And if you know your limits AND RESPECT THEM(<That is the most important part<).

Me, I spent about 10 years on dirtbikes and such so i feel pretty comfortable on a bike. I went with an r6. Though im thinking about picking up a 250 as a putput/loaner bike for friends.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts