Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have 3k saved up for a bike and by the end of next month or begining of June I should have a bit over 5k which is how much I want to spend on a bike. I have been looking at gixxers and the r6. For the amount that I am willing to spend on the bike (5,000), around how many miles will be ok and around what year? I have been leaning toward the r6 because they are cheaper and I will go no lower than a 600cc...This will be my first bike so I ofcourse dont want anything brand new or anything too powerful..

·
What about what?
6,755 Posts
It's rare to see the R6 cheaper than a Gixxer. Just curious, if you don't want anything too powerful, why are looking at a 600 sportbike?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My friend bought a 2004 r6 for $5k with 9k miles to give you an idea. It had only a couple small scratches.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by too powerful, i was referring to the 1,000's..Thats funny because i always end up finding the Gixxers to be more expensive

·
Registered
395 Posts
I bought my 2005 R6 with 8k miles for $5,600 at a used dealer. Was dropped once with minor scratches due to frame slider. Going to repaint it soon anyways.

·
What about what?
6,755 Posts
by too powerful, i was referring to the 1,000's..Thats funny because i always end up finding the Gixxers to be more expensive
I don't want to assume anything about your experience or skill set, but even though these are 600cc bikes, they are extremely fast. They can and will hurt you. Easy enough to learn on, just play it safe.

GSXR or R6, either would be a good choice, both are nice bikes. Of course most here would suggest the R6. :)

·
RU R6
1,207 Posts
Just shop around for any of the top 3 models: R6, CBR, GSXR. Although, this time of year, you're gonna raped as far as deals go. You may as well put what you have saved, down on a new 07 clearance instead of a used one. All sellers are going to try and get top dollar just because the season is starting up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just shop around for any of the top 3 models: R6, CBR, GSXR. Although, this time of year, you're gonna raped as far as deals go. You may as well put what you have saved, down on a new 07 clearance instead of a used one. All sellers are going to try and get top dollar just because the season is starting up.
Well i REALLY dont want to finance a bike, plus my credit isnt the best. I prefer to pay it all in cash which is why I am buying a used bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Keep your eyes open i actually ended up getting mine threw a guy at work just under 8k for $5,200 with a helment and jacket..In Great condition never dropped, once 1 sratch about a 1/4" long..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry its also an 04 limited edition..

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
An R6 is a track bred racing machine and it is quite literally breathtakingly fast. Only a few tenths of a second separate the R1 and R6's 0-60 MPH times...A 600 is by no means a compromise on power.

"With great power comes great responsibility." (And self control)

Ride Safe!

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
Damn it get an R6....plain and simple.
if you want something else, go ahead....as long as its a r6

·
Daily Bike Commuter
104 Posts
getting the bike is where it starts. Now add the gear, the use tax, and the insurance and now you'll need to budget for a whole lot more. Don't skimp on the gear either as a beginner. You'll use it sooner than you think.

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Damn it get an R6....plain and simple.
if you want something else, go ahead....as long as its a r6
You know I was thinking the same thing....

Stop with all this exaggerated talk about R6s... :sing

If I was on 500 forum they would say the samething as each of you...:sing

Truthfully I would say if this is your first bike I would say....

Are you trying to keep this bike for a long time or trade it in alittle later for something else? If you are just trying to learn how to ride and not keep the bike find something really cheap. But if you want something to keep shop around and find the style and size of bike you want...

Get some Frame Sliders and gear to protect you and the bike reguardless of what you get and you will be fine...

·
Newb On A Mission!
193 Posts
i bought a 2005 r6 with 4k miles for $5500.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts