Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Im 20 years old and have been looking at motorcycles for a couple summers now but haven't pulled the trigger cause I haven't found "the one."

However i think i finally have, its a 2008 R6 limited edition (Yellow with the black flames) with aftermarket parts like a graves exhaust with titanium manifolds, fender eliminator kit and flush blinkers (so the guy says) and has 15,000 miles. Im thinking of buying it from a guy on craigslist and we settled on a price of 5600.

Just want to ask the community for some advice on if this is a reasonable price and also what i should look for when i go to check the bike out. I don't know the buyer and it scares me a little because i don't know if the bike is going to be in good condition or if it was taken care of?

Thanks for all your help and insight

,TheWolf

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
Have you checked insurance first? That px won't be pretty for a 20yr old.

Do you have full medical? (not being sour, but it's a must if you're going to ride)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
i didn't know that the 2008 yellow with flames was a limited edition but i could be wrong.

do you have any older friends that have been riding for a long time, if so then you might want to bring them a long to take a look at the bike.

oh 5600 is not a bad price but try to bring it down more if you can. most 2008 here in CA are going for around 6000.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Have you checked insurance first? That px won't be pretty for a 20yr old.

Do you have full medical? (not being sour, but it's a must if you're going to ride)
Great points. Liability is super cheap even at 20, but at least get comprehensive with theft coverage. Medical will come in handy!

Plenty of threads to tell you what to check and how dumb it is to start on a r6, but here's some advice don't negotiate over a phone. Money in the face talks, and you have no idea what its really like till you get there in person.

·
Boom
65 Posts
Also when you try to add insurance to a bike 600cc or bigger the insurance company will ask you how long you have been riding motorcycles, if you answer anything less than 3 years, they will not cover you.

Now I can't remember if it is 2 years or 3 years.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Also when you try to add insurance to a bike 600cc or bigger the insurance company will ask you how long you have been riding motorcycles, if you answer anything less than 3 years, they will not cover you.

Now I can't remember if it is 2 years or 3 years.
Never heard that one.
I got my progressive ins online. I was 19 and claimed 10 yrs riding experience lol. They didn't specify street riding haha. Dirtbike experience counts right lol

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
i didn't know that the 2008 yellow with flames was a limited edition but i could be wrong.

do you have any older friends that have been riding for a long time, if so then you might want to bring them a long to take a look at the bike.

oh 5600 is not a bad price but try to bring it down more if you can. most 2008 here in CA are going for around 6000.
It is a le.
Indeed is an LE, even says so on my registration, but I see these shits everywhere....:laugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, definitely helpful. I have a friend whos been riding for a few years and when he started he said insurance was fairly cheap. i have medical through my dad who is employed through the state so its pretty good coverage. (im in Massachusetts).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, definitely helpful. I have a friend whos been riding for a few years and when he started he said insurance was fairly cheap. i have medical through my dad who is employed through the state so its pretty good coverage. (im in Massachusetts).
I was able to get liability and comprehensive (fire, theft, and vandalism) for like 500 a year.

also that seem like a lot of money for a bike with 15,000 miles.
I bought my 06 in 2012 for $5500 with 8100 miles.
2008 is 6 years old, just like my bike was when I bought it.
just a thought. but my bike was completely stock.

things to check when you get there, condition of tires, cycle the suspension and see if there is any fluids leaking from the seals. check the condition of the chain, see if you can find any rust on the links, even if the chain is clean this will tell you that he didn't take great care of the motorcycle. id tell you to check the rad fluid too but more likely than not he will have kept the fairings on the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot bighitguy I'll definitely try to check those things out, that's what I was looking for. I have no idea what to check to see if the bike is in good condition. What is cycling the suspension?

As for the price every other seller that had the same bike is close to that mileage and asking more. A dealer near me wants 8500 for the same bike with 10k miles and fully stock. So I'm hoping that this bike is in good condition and I'm getting a good deal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts