Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am fixing to upgrade my brakes but I do not want to just do pads this time. I do not know too much about brake performance other than good pads and rotors. What else will improve stopping power and a safer ride? I am riding with a passenger more and more so I really think it is more important to get this upgraded.

Budget will be around 500-750....
Bike is a 2008 R6R...

Thanks in advance!

·
#KeepPounding
1,735 Posts
Good lines and upgraded fluid will immediately increase your braking power and decrease brake fade. Most of us run Fren Tubos from Agg Racing. And I run Vesrah RJL pads and Motul RBF600 fluid. I never feel the necessity for more power than that setup gives me, but you could always upgrade rotors as well.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Brembo RSC

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
https://www.motomummy.com/index.php?p=cart

Brembo 19x18/19x20 RCS Brake Master cyl. with Evotech kit
$369.95

***Spiegler Front/Rear Brake Lines***
2 sets of front SBK5/1 set of Rear RX Pads(+85)
FREE RBF600 Fluid
$242.50

Total: $612.45 +tax/freight

Would this be a pretty substantial upgrade from stock and is this a good price?
I like dealing with Moto Mummy b/c they are from Austin... trying to keep my money local.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
https://www.motomummy.com/index.php?p=cart

Brembo 19x18/19x20 RCS Brake Master cyl. with Evotech kit
$369.95

***Spiegler Front/Rear Brake Lines***
2 sets of front SBK5/1 set of Rear RX Pads(+85)
FREE RBF600 Fluid
$242.50

Total: $612.45 +tax/freight

Would this be a pretty substantial upgrade from stock and is this a good price?
I like dealing with Moto Mummy b/c they are from Austin... trying to keep my money local.
your bike already has a brembo m/c on it.:secret
If you can outride the stock/pads & lines... then do as posted above with lines & fluid. As it is... its possible endo the bike at 100+ with ease with just the stock pads and good fluid. Shoot the stock r6 brakes are so good I put them on my GSXR! :lmao

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Upgrade to new SS lines - we can get you nearly any color Spiegler lines with banjo bolts with new brake pads and new fluid would probably be just what you need. Call or PM me to discuss a couple of options. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Upgrade to new SS lines - we can get you nearly any color Spiegler lines with banjo bolts with new brake pads and new fluid would probably be just what you need. Call or PM me to discuss a couple of options. Thanks!
Well the bike has almost 12k miles and I am definitely not easy on my brakes... I have changed the fluid/pads on it 4 times since I owned it. I change every so many miles whether it needs it or not.

Do you think it might be time for new rotors or do you think they are still good to go? I seem to be getting quite a bit of brake dust with new pads... caliper problem?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Do you think it might be time for new rotors or do you think they are still good to go? I seem to be getting quite a bit of brake dust with new pads... caliper problem?
your rotors have a spec stamped on them. Get out your mic or caliper and do some measuring. ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with everything above, good lines, pads, and fluid is all most people need.

However I dont blame you for wanting more brakes:

Not Pictured is the RCS19 Master Cylinder

Yeah and I also like to have top of the line items on my bike so naturally I was wanting a full Brembo setup... willing to fork out a little more $$ for a solid setup. The bike will be tracked next summer so it's just one step closer to ready I would feel.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Lines, fluid, pads are all you need. Everything else is going to be A LOT of money spent for very little return.

You talk about getting to the track soon - if you have any desire to race in the future, I wouldn't waste money on calipers and such, as it's probably going to disqualify you from the supersport classes, which tend to have the biggest grids and be the most fun.

If you just want bling for your bike, then have at it - but you're going to get much more fun and performance improvement for your money by spending it on track time and tires.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I agree with everything above, good lines, pads, and fluid is all most people need.

20140509_115423 by tdoss1980, on Flickr
What is that little tab thingy in front of the fender, just over the rotor? "VB" or something.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
20140509_115423 by tdoss1980, on Flickr
I put some massive full floating ap rotors and ap racing calipers on my gsxr with Marchi wheels. You can really feel the g forces when you squeeze as I was clamping the tank with my knees with everything I had. Sucks the forks down nicely. I ended up removing them as it was kind of a waste since I wasn't racing that bike. The front wheel would spin at least 8 full revolutions with the floaters.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
It says "vented brakes". Probably a duct that forces air to the caliper and rotor.
Yeah, I have a set of those that came with my track zx6r. I tracked it with them on and off. I literally noticed no difference. Waste of money.

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
Yeah, I have a set of those that came with my track zx6r. I tracked it with them on and off. I literally noticed no difference. Waste of money.

Honestly Ive never pushed the brakes where more cooling is needed, so i cant say they do anything or not, but they look trick and were given to me by one of my sales reps.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Well the bike has almost 12k miles and I am definitely not easy on my brakes... I have changed the fluid/pads on it 4 times since I owned it. I change every so many miles whether it needs it or not.

you're probably easier on the brakes than you think. make sure when you change the pads you're also cleaning the caliper.

Yeah and I also like to have top of the line items on my bike so naturally I was wanting a full Brembo setup... willing to fork out a little more $$ for a solid setup. The bike will be tracked next summer so it's just one step closer to ready I would feel.
i've been doing track days for many years now. i still use the stock master and calipers. upgrade to better pads (i use vesrah rjl) better fluid (motul) and better lines (spiegler) and if you still need more braking power, you're doing something wrong. i know a few racers with other bikes that swap over to stock r6 brake components because they feel they work better than what came with their bike. it's pretty stout right from the factory...

s3aturnr

1 - 20 of 20 Posts