Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2020 R6 (about 1200 odo) and went to crack it open on the freeway the other day. Was shifting from 5>6 and noticed for the remainder of the ride, and all subsequent rides, that the throttle felt different - almost a little loose or less responsive than it was. It's especially noticeable at very low speeds (mostly 1st gear). Is it possible to damage the throttle cables by cranking it too hard/fast? Is this a simple adjustment to the cable tension? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!✌🏻

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
Are you in B mode?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
Ok do you have excessive throttle free play? Check full lovk each direction for the tightest side. Should have about 1/16 inch play but I set mine to my feel on tight side then straight is more but won't rev at full lock.

·
Registered
2020 R6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok do you have excessive throttle free play? Check full lovk each direction for the tightest side. Should have about 1/16 inch play but I set mine to my feel on tight side then straight is more but won't rev at full lock.
This might sound dumb, but what do you mean "full lock for the tightest side"? I'm assuming the play is how much the throttle moves before it starts revving?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
You have to make sure when bars are full left and full right there is enough slack in the throttle cable or it will rev the engine as the cable binds. NOT FUN! Usually full right is the tightest side.

Reactions: Magnus savige

·
Registered
2020 R6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to make sure when bars are full left and full right there is enough slack in the throttle cable or it will rev the engine as the cable binds. NOT FUN! Usually full right is the tightest side.
That doesn't seem to be a problem. It feels like there is play in the throttle before it actually starts to rev the engine. Like I'm able to rotate it more than I was before, before the bike starts to respond. Would I just tighten the cable?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
How much can you rotate the grip before the slack is taken up?

·
Registered
2020 R6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not too much... maybe 1/4"? Again this could all just be in my head, but it feels like the grip is loose or moving around a little more than it was.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
1/4 in is too much. You does the return spring snap it closed. I'm thinking your push cable might be out of whack.

Reactions: Magnus savige

·
Registered
2020 R6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The return spring does make it pop back all the way. I realized on my way home that the thing that's throwing me off is there is play as I'm rolling off the throttle. It's not as noticeable when I'm rolling on. When I roll off I feel the rpms drop significantly, but then there's this distance between that happening and it returning all the way to it's resting position that feels like it shouldn't be there. Sorry if this isn't making any sense lol

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
Ok I get it. Something is wonky with you cables. The return cable does not have an adjuster at the top. I recommend taking the cover off.. 2 screws and making sure both cable ends are connected to the throttle tube and wrapped around it in the grooves. I think you will find one not in the groove or track that contains it. Roll it both directions and see if it binds or any crazy amount of slack.

·
Registered
2020 R6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I get it. Something is wonky with you cables. The return cable does not have an adjuster at the top. I recommend taking the cover off.. 2 screws and making sure both cable ends are connected to the throttle tube and wrapped around it in the grooves. I think you will find one not in the groove or track that contains it. Roll it both directions and see if it binds or any crazy amount of slack.
I'll check it out and see if that helps. Thanks for all your help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts