Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Go Big or Go Home
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 03 r6 that I bought this spring and have put about 3k miles on it so far. It came with a stainless gytr slip on exhaust with no power commander. That is the only motor modification. So here's the deal. Since I've had the bike, about once a week it would die on me when I'd pull the clutch in to stop or downshift for a turn. The rpm's would just fall all the way down till it killed. It would start right back up everytime and be good for about another week. Now it has progressively gotten worse, while I'm riding I can hear it sputter and pop and it feels like I've dropped a cylinder. Major loss of power and is really jumpy, only runs with the throttle applied. When I turn the key off and then back on it will run fine for only a few miles then turn to crap again. My gas milage has cut in half (no lie) and it just wreaks of gas while it idles (when it does). The exhaust tip is caked with soot. So tonight I throw on the stock exhaust and for the first time in awhile it ran like a champ the whole night, ran clean and the smell of gas was hardly noticeable. My questions are: Anyone have this problem with just a slip on? Do I need a power commander? Or is there anything else that could contribute to this problem? Any info will be much appreciated! Thank you!

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
1. Get a power commander
2. check your coil packs - they are probably densos - you need to get them changed, there was a recall specifically on these coil packs due to massive failure. If you don't want to go through the trouble to check, then you can call a yamaha dealer, give them your vin, they'll tell you if yamaha has changed the coils on that bike.

·
My R6.....
176 Posts
Yep - what Varna said ^^

If you take the tank, air filter off then you can pop the coils off and if you see some pitting on the rubber then that's your problem.

·
Go Big or Go Home
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took my bike to the dealer yesterday and they ran my vin number. Said the warranty was done in 04. Still could this be the problem if they've gone bad again??

·
Registered
991 Posts
I took my bike to the dealer yesterday and they ran my vin number. Said the warranty was done in 04. Still could this be the problem if they've gone bad again??
The warranty is done with, but did they check the database to see if the coil packs had every been replaced? Their was a recall or TSB put out for them. They will have record if that has ever been performed even if it wasn't performed at that Yamaha shop. You don't need to take it to them, just read the vin off over the phone.

·
Go Big or Go Home
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I meant to say the recall was done in 04, not the warranty. I put in new plugs and airfilter when I got the bike so I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe the caps went bad again?

·
My R6 eats chickenstrips
46 Posts
A sooty exhaust tip tells me it's running rich, i.e., it isn't fully burning the fuel, so I agree you should have the coils checked. Also check your plugs, if 3 are fine and one is sooty, then you know which cylinder isn't firing properly. It's also an easy fix if the problem is a faulty plug, so it wouldn't hurt to replace them if they look nasty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.