Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Formerly Stealth Raven
3,951 Posts
did u get a bike???

you might just be screwed...if you lost your ONLY key..that means u have to have all the parts that require a key, replaced.. i could be wrong..but i dont know if they can re make a lost key

·
Formerly Stealth Raven
3,951 Posts
havent lost a key yet..that could very well be possible for them to look up the vin and make one..might have to wait till morning to get a better answer..

did u pic up a bike'?

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
I don't know if you bought the bike originally from the dealership (first owner) or not. If you are, the set of keys should of came with a little metal piece.. on that there is a code number. You'd have to call Yamaha dealer, give them that number and they'll order you a new key. It might cost you a pretty penny (maybe around $25-$50 for just one key) but at least you'll have a key. Then, that's when you take that new original key, get a second copy made at a local locksmith. I made a copy of mine the other day and it cost me $1.08 to make.

Worse case scenario, if you don't have the little metal thing with the code on it, you can call Yamaha directly and they might be able to order you a new key with just the VIN number off the bike... but they may need to verify that's you who owns the bike by asking a series of questions. Keep us updated to see how that goes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: This is all assuming you didn't change the factory ignition. Cause if you've changed out the ignition, then you're screwed. You'll have to do with Corey said and replace everything that uses the key. Ignition, gas cap, and tail lock. Which can be expensive..

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had the same problem! Haha.. First day of gettin my bike i lost my original key. I Just simpy called a mortocycle locksmith , he came to my house , and made a few keys for me. It did cost 120 $ however! But it was worth it! :D

·
The R6 Man Cometh
112 Posts
I had the same problem! Haha.. First day of gettin my bike i lost my original key. I Just simpy called a mortocycle locksmith , he came to my house , and made a few keys for me. It did cost 120 $ however! But it was worth it! :D
+1. I lost my key before and didn't have copies. I put my bike in the back of a pick up truck and took it to a locksmith. They use the ignition and a moldable key to get the grooves right, then they cut a metal one for you. Took like 45 minutes cost like $40.

I think I've answered this before... yep: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112276

Hope that helps!

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
a locksmith can come out and cut a key without your original key. it will cost you a good bit, but still less than replacing a whole lock set

·
off roadin' GARDEN SLAYA!
905 Posts
To recap, your options are:

If you have the key code, get a key from Yamaha
If you do not have a key code, get a key from Yamaha from the VIN, possibly
Have a locksmith come and make you a key

After you get yourself a key, don't be an idiot. Make some spares. I have three keys to my bike. The two originals and a Euro spare.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dang, i called yamaha directly on there website, guy said i got to go through a locksmith to get it done. they can't order a key from the vin. i'm not the OG owner, so i don't have the metal tag that comes with the key. its soo freakin small i hate it..hahaha.

but i'm the noob for obviously loosing it. and there's not official yamaha dealerships here, only places that sell the bikes, and they said they don't do cutting of keys. they only sell blanks.

·
Pigs can fly!
1,160 Posts
Worse case scenario, if you don't have the little metal thing with the code on it, you can call Yamaha directly and they might be able to order you a new key with just the VIN number off the bike... but they may need to verify that's you who owns the bike by asking a series of questions. Keep us updated to see how that goes.
My local Yamaha dealer said that Yamaha doesn't store key numbers with vin numbers last time I went in asking if I could order a factory key since I got my bike with a copied key that's really hard to get out of the lock position, so I don't lock my steering anymore :nono

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My local Yamaha dealer said that Yamaha doesn't store key numbers with vin numbers last time I went in asking if I could order a factory key since I got my bike with a copied key that's really hard to get out of the lock position, so I don't lock my steering anymore :nono
soo what did you do then? get a locksmith?

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update!!

so i called a local yamaha place that is a dealer for them, and they said that the code should be on the ignition at the bottom.

does anyone know how i can access that? is it hard to get there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts