Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R6 had a small tick sound which turned into a loud knock here are some videos of it. The bike sputters and would die while idling i tried riding it a few blocks to someone's house but then it started making it a worse noise.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check for any header/exhaust leaks first. Have you changed your exhaust or messed with it recently?

It could be a number of other things if not that.

It could a be a spark issue or injection issue (loose connection or plug fouling or failure or injector problem)

What have you worked on recently?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed a full system exhaust a little over a month, I changed out all of my spark plugs and installed block off plates and got the ecu flashed. I remember giving the bike tiny revs and it died on me at a light by tiny i mean the needle wouldnt go up at all. There is also no engine light. I did check the timing chain and tried to turn the engine over with the sprocket but it wouldnt turn and i didnt want to force it so i stopped.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You may have more than one issue.

1. The noise sounds like you have a header leak. Get some garden hose place on end near your ear the other near and around the headers and listen for leaks. A header leak in my experience won't cause stalling but it makes a racket you describe. You will need to makes sure the headers are sealed up properly onto the manifold, tightened correctly and the system isn't pulling on them in a weird way causing the leak.

2. I suspect your stalling is related to the tune.

The block off plates are simple to install and require the removal of the AIS. I think they are unlikely to cause your stalling issue or the noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay ill check that. The bike is running terrible and has a really loud knock is it possible for my engine to be blown or seized up even though i dont have an engine light? Ill try posting another video on how it sounds now and post a picture of my spark plugs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay ill check that. The bike is running terrible and has a really loud knock is it possible for my engine to be blown or seized up even though i dont have an engine light? Ill try posting another video on how it sounds now and post a picture of my spark plugs.
Look if it was seized it wouldn't be running.
That is exactly how mine sounded when I had a header leak. It sounds like running on 3 cylinders and really loud ticking. And you did work on the exhaust system recently. So check that first. I go back to my original reply 1. Check for leaks. Your new tune may be related to the stalling.
What is your level of mechanical ability? Are you able to do this. In these cases people have a habit of jumping to the worst conclusions when it is often the last part they worked on. It is entirely possible something worse has occured, but you need to use a process of elimination to resovle the issue accurately. For that reason I would not jump straight to engine fucked.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh, did you edit your post? I didnt see the remark that it won't turn over. How can you post a photo of it running if it doesn't turn over? If that is the case you have terminal damage to the engine. Drop the oil look for metal in the oil. Pull the plugs see if you can look inside the cylinders for damage.

Just had another thought. You did remove the plugs before trying to turn the engine over manually yeah? Otherwise compression will be making that task difficult. Also, who did your tune? Was it a professional or backyard job?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not being able to turn the engine over is what has me confused. The bike turns on and runs but its a louder knock than in the video and i can feel a strong vibration move up to the handle bars it jerks and sputters. Its definitely not ridable.

The spark plugs were pulled out when i tried turning the engine. My ecu flash was done at a shop called 2wheelsdyno.

I hard to gauge my mechanical ability this is my first bike and the first time I've done work on something like this but changing the spark plugs and all the other things were pretty simple and ive changed my own tires as well so I don't think I'm to horrible at working on it. I've been working the last few days so i probably wont get to check everything until tomorrow or the next day. But ill start with the headers and then the oil. Ill get that video posted shortly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Initially the video sounded like a mere header leak when it also occurred not long after exhaust change. But if you can't turn it over at all you have bigger problems....

As a starting point:
Drop the oil - look for metal bits
Pull the valve cover look for any signs of damage.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,510 Posts
Hard to tell from a video on a phone, but:
1. If there is an exhaust leak, it could be from your block off plates. Did you reinstall the rubber gasket plates unde the block offs? You need them.
2. It sound to me more like it is running on 3 cylinders. Are all 4 headers getting hot, and evenly? One of your spark plug boots may not be fully seated when you put it back together

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
okay so i check the oil and there seems to be something white and shiny. I removed the cam shaft cover to look at the timing chain and I noticed it can turn the engine backward and then forward but then it gets stuck. i know you're not supposed to go backwards but I'm getting desperate. I couldn't see any damage inside the engine so I'm planning on just dropping it and cracking it open.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dude, STOP. DON'T START IT AGAIN!. Your timing chain tensioner isn't working properly or at all. At 26 Seconds in you can hear and see the timing chain skip some teeth. It is now out of timing. This means things can be going up when they should be going down and other things are going the opposite way.

This would also explain it wanting to start then dying.

1. Replace the timing chain tensioner.

2. Reset the timing. The manual should help you there.

3. Hope you haven't bent a valve.

4. If you have that is outside my skillset. You will likely need a professional to rebuild the motor or just drop a 2nd hand one in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't turned it on? Do you mean not to turn over the engine with the sprocket? Any idea whats in the oil in the picture i posted above?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts