Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 r6 and when it reaches around 120 degrees i can hear this loud knocking sound. I'm pretty sure its coming from inside the engine casing. When the temperature warms up to around 175 degrees, the knocking sound stops. I 'm not too worried about it but it just gets annoying sometimes when waiting at a stop light and theres an ugly knocking sound coming from your bike. Any one know what the problem could be?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Get used to it. Unless it is obnoxious, it is normal.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i would start looking for what is making that sound. does not sound too good. or take it in for a service and have it checked out.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
i would start looking for what is making that sound. does not sound too good. or take it in for a service and have it checked out.
And he is a mechanic too so as much as this seems to be a normal thing, I might heed his advice.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It sounds like valve clearance issues. The clearance gets lower after the engine warms up do to expansion. Regardless of what the manual says, i've seen valve clearances way off long before 16,000 miles. It's all in who rides it....ie not letting it warm up correctly before riding and all that crap has a part in it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Oh yeah, another thing to remember. Like the transmissions on R6's they also have one of the noiseiest valvetrains!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That combined with a very light and very thin aluminum engine = noise

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is it more of a clacking sound, kinda quick??? Or is it a slower knocking sound?

If is the former, that is just the loud ass top end, and one of the quirks of many Yamaha engines. If it is more like the latter, then there might be something wrong and you would be well served to have it checked out.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
yes, stone and rocky are also right. It very well could be bad, bearing etc.

Change you're oil right away, and look at the oil closely for babbit or any metal filings. You should also cut your oil filter and make sure no chuncks or bigger filings were filtered from your oil.

I assume you've checked to make sure it isn't clutch chatter..?? This does however come distinctively from the right side.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its more of a clacking sound..thats kind of quick...like rocky said.... when i heard it, i changed my oil...i looked through the oil and there were no metal shavings..after changing the oil the sound is still present..maybe i just need to get my valves adjusted because my bikes almost at 17000 miles. the previous owner before me got the valves adjusted when he put on the jet kit and took out the california smog stuff. I asked him at what milage he did it, but he doesn't remember. so maybe i should get it checked out.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
yeah, i'm betting he was feeding you a line of BS about getting done, therefore probably way overdue.

Start there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He could've been lying.. but i don't think so. He seems pretty straight forward and maybe someone did it for him. He's sponsored and races for yamaha so maybe some service guy did it for him. When i bought the bike from him, he had 3 r6's in his garage and also had an r1..lucky..i'll check my valves tomorrow though..thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts