Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm new to this forum after purchasing a 2006 Raven. Overall the bike looked pretty good except for the fact that one fork seal was leaking a little bit, and I have been able to adjust and fix everything except for one thing and I was hoping someone could help me out.

At low RPM's (-4000) my engine kind of sputters a bit so I have to take off at much higher RPM's. I don't know if this is just characteristic of R6's/in-line fours or if it's just me. I just came from a v-twin sv650 so the difference might be what is throwing me off.

anyways, if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
-Steve

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had this same problem on my 99. It actually sputtered and died while I was at an intersection and I got rear-ended (Truck just bumped my back tire). I ran some fuel cleaner through it and adjusted the low idle and it's all good now

PS nice bike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had this same problem on my 99. It actually sputtered and died while I was at an intersection and I got rear-ended (Truck just bumped my back tire). I ran some fuel cleaner through it and adjusted the low idle and it's all good now

PS nice bike
Thanks for the advice!!! Quick question: What kind of fuel cleaner do you recommend using? and also how do you adjust the low idle on the bike? Thanks for the compliment on the bike, right now i'm looking at getting a slip-on exhaust for it looking at Leo Vince and Akropovik trying to figure out the advantages. Thanks again.
-Steve

·
Registered
538 Posts
To be honest, I don't remember the name. I know it liquid was blue and I can let you know for sure tomorrow morning. As far as adjusting the idle, on the first gens there is a knob on the right side of the bike just above the clutch cover, not too sure where it's at on an 06.

I really like the Akropovik's, Thats what I have on mine

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Does your 06 have any mods...i.e. exhaust? power commander/fuel controller?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does your 06 have any mods...i.e. exhaust? power commander/fuel controller?
Nope. My bike is pictured above, completely stock. Do you think that if i mod my bike with an exhaust and power commander that might solve some of my issues?
-Steve

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
my bike used to sputter a lot when i got it, real bad below 5krpm.

i had quite a bit of problems , and after getting the bike working really smooth to where u can coast around no problem in first gear at 4k rpm, no sputter
ill say you should check on all of these things, as they are pretty simple.

First run through your diagnostic mode, using the service manual (located at r6messagenet.com if u need it)and check each injector.

next, also in diag mode, play with d_01, which shows the value for your tps. just roll on and off the throttle with the bike off and look for smoothness in the numbers, especially when barely on the throttle. make sure it never jumps numbers or anything, but goes up or down smoothly depending on throttle position.

Ive always steered away from the Fuel injector cleaner things because ive had some friends with bad experiences on their cars, and i know on bikes we dont get checked for emission but still, i like the old school SeaFoam treatment. Ive used it in my car with great success using the brake booster line to inject the SeaFoam straight into my engine, and it completely smoothed out my rough idle on the R6. I just followed exact dosage on the back on the bottle after a fresh fill up at a gas station, did this for three gas tanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What rpm does your bike idle at when warmed up?

I'd give the bike a service (oil+oil filter+spark plugs) considering you'd just bought the bike. Also check the air filter.

I also bought my bike used and that was the first thing I did and I noticed a BIG difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What rpm does your bike idle at when warmed up?

I'd give the bike a service (oil+oil filter+spark plugs) considering you'd just bought the bike. Also check the air filter.

I also bought my bike used and that was the first thing I did and I noticed a BIG difference.
Thanks for the response (to everyone as well). The bike looked like it had fresh oil in it, but I don't think it would hurt to change the oil on the bike. My bike RPM does not change between cold and warmed up and is around 1500 maybe slightly less.

I think that the spark plugs might need to get changed too because every once in a while it takes some effort to get it to start. A couple times i've had to rev the throttle to get the bike to start.

·
10,295 Posts
Nope. My bike is pictured above, completely stock. Do you think that if i mod my bike with an exhaust and power commander that might solve some of my issues?
-Steve
Well, that brings me to believe that it has more miles than 20k?

If thats the case...the valves might need to be adjusted...

The other poster said he had a hard time starting his bike...thats a sign of valves needing to be adjusted as well...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that brings me to believe that it has more miles than 20k?

If thats the case...the valves might need to be adjusted...

The other poster said he had a hard time starting his bike...thats a sign of valves needing to be adjusted as well...
My bike has 11k miles on it. But I think that it has been on the track a couple times, does that matter in terms of valve wear? I took the bike down to a local shop and he said the some of the 2006 r6 valves needed to be adjusted at half the amount of miles as suggested in the manual (roughly 12k), but that is only with a handful of r6s for that year.

·
10,295 Posts
My bike has 11k miles on it. But I think that it has been on the track a couple times, does that matter in terms of valve wear? I took the bike down to a local shop and he said the some of the 2006 r6 valves needed to be adjusted at half the amount of miles as suggested in the manual (roughly 12k), but that is only with a handful of r6s for that year.
Could very well be the case...if its been tracked, the motor has had the piss ran outta it...

You might be lookin at a valve adjustment...

·
Hey...HOLY *****...TREE!!!
64 Posts
Hey guys, don't mean to thread jack but I just got my bike serviced and was told at that time one of the injectors was clogged as if it was sitting around for a long time w/o being run.

The problem was that my R6W was sounding like a v-twin all the way through the powerband and still wasn't acting like it was before. Thats when I took it in and found out what the problem was--even after thinking it was bad gas and I did the seafoam treatment.

Then no more than about 3 weeks later (this week) the bike is sputtering like it was before at -4k rpms but after 4k the power kicks in and its fine and dandy. Just when taking off at a stop.

I'm currently giving it the fuel treatment with the blue liquid (in the picture) and it appears to be working but won't know until I've gone through a couple of fill ups and treatments.

Question I have is, would it be an ethanol issue, bad injector or could it be a bad ECU?

Thanks for ya'll help!!

Oh and if anyone wants to hit up US Hwy 421 near Shady Valley TN sometime (and the bike is working) hit me up!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey guys, don't mean to thread jack but I just got my bike serviced and was told at that time one of the injectors was clogged as if it was sitting around for a long time w/o being run.

The problem was that my R6W was sounding like a v-twin all the way through the powerband and still wasn't acting like it was before. Thats when I took it in and found out what the problem was--even after thinking it was bad gas and I did the seafoam treatment.

Then no more than about 3 weeks later (this week) the bike is sputtering like it was before at -4k rpms but after 4k the power kicks in and its fine and dandy. Just when taking off at a stop.

I'm currently giving it the fuel treatment with the blue liquid (in the picture) and it appears to be working but won't know until I've gone through a couple of fill ups and treatments.

Question I have is, would it be an ethanol issue, bad injector or could it be a bad ECU?

Thanks for ya'll help!!

Oh and if anyone wants to hit up US Hwy 421 near Shady Valley TN sometime (and the bike is working) hit me up!!
Hey! No worries with the thread! We just want to figure out what is going on. Let me know how that Fuel Treatment goes for you. I just picked it up but haven't been able to treat it yet. I might make it happen on Sunday and see how it feels through the week. At this point if the fuel treatment doesn't work I'm taking it in to a bike mechanic to see what the issue is. I hope it's just a valve adjustment issue.

Although, I recently put in a new tank of gas and it seems like the issue is getting a little bit better... or I am just getting better at managing it. Maybe the guy who sold it to me was cheaping out and getting the regular gas instead of premium. Not sure if that would make a difference at all.

- Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey I'm also in the same boat, on take off if I start with very low rpm around 2000 it sputters sounds a little rough then smooths out very quickly at about 3000rpm and is smooth throughout all other gears / rpm's.

A little difficult when you're coasting along at idle with small amounts of throttle or trying to take off on a step hill at low rpm. I think the idle's somewhere just over 1000, is this too low?

Thanks again, sorry didn't want to start a new thread as seems like the same problem.

·
64 Posts
Hey! No worries with the thread! We just want to figure out what is going on. Let me know how that Fuel Treatment goes for you. I just picked it up but haven't been able to treat it yet. I might make it happen on Sunday and see how it feels through the week. At this point if the fuel treatment doesn't work I'm taking it in to a bike mechanic to see what the issue is. I hope it's just a valve adjustment issue.

Although, I recently put in a new tank of gas and it seems like the issue is getting a little bit better... or I am just getting better at managing it. Maybe the guy who sold it to me was cheaping out and getting the regular gas instead of premium. Not sure if that would make a difference at all.

- Steve
Hey Steve,

Well, I thought the "Star Tech" treatment was working until it just kept on doing the same thing. So I took it into the shop and awaiting word on what is wrong with it.

But for some reason maybe it needs to be adjusted for the higher octane here in TN. In HI the highest octane was 92 and here I'm finding that its at 93. Dunno. Wish I didn't have to mess with another problem.

FRAQ

·
64 Posts
Hey I'm also in the same boat, on take off if I start with very low rpm around 2000 it sputters sounds a little rough then smooths out very quickly at about 3000rpm and is smooth throughout all other gears / rpm's.

A little difficult when you're coasting along at idle with small amounts of throttle or trying to take off on a step hill at low rpm. I think the idle's somewhere just over 1000, is this too low?

Thanks again, sorry didn't want to start a new thread as seems like the same problem.
Dude...from my experience (and from talking to my previous shop guys) the idle should be between 1300 and 1500 rpm. I think the sweet spot was between 1350 and 1400ish...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you an update. I did the fuel treatment with the higher grade gasoline and it seemed to help, but then I took it down to Sportech Cycles in San Jose who took a look and said I didn't need my valves adjusted for another 12000 miles or so. But they did do a throttle sync, replaced plugs and a handful of other things an it looks like it's idling a thousand times better than it did. We'll see if it holds up, but so far, so good.

-from iPhone, please excuse mistakes caused by fat fingers.

Hey Steve,

Well, I thought the "Star Tech" treatment was working until it just kept on doing the same thing. So I took it into the shop and awaiting word on what is wrong with it.

But for some reason maybe it needs to be adjusted for the higher octane here in TN. In HI the highest octane was 92 and here I'm finding that its at 93. Dunno. Wish I didn't have to mess with another problem.

FRAQ

1 - 20 of 50 Posts