Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me, especially anyone that had similar issues when moving to a sports bike.

I’ve had my 2008 R6 for about 3 months now and put just over 2000km on it in that time (commuting and hitting the twisties... haven’t been to a track yet). Prior to that, I’d been riding a Honda CB250 daily for around 18 months. What I’m really struggling with on the R6 is low speed turns – particularly tight U-turns and hairpins on very slow sections of the mountain twisties. I feel quite confident on it otherwise and think my technique, (at least for the road) is good.

The way our license system works here in Australia means that the easiest way to get your license is to do a safety course. The initial course gives you a power restricted license, so you have to redo the safety course on a bigger bike to be licensed for anything decent. I’ve done that course twice, first on a CB250 and the second time on a BMW G650 X Country. The course contains some technique stuff in a car park before you hit the road and one of those techniques is to do a series of tight figure-8s in a set time, without going outside the marked lines or putting your foot down. I did this on both the bikes mentioned above without any issues and felt quite confident. I had the pegs scrapping on the CB250. It was tight, so technique was to use clutch + throttle in first gear, with a little rear brake as needed.

As I’ve been struggling with the U-turns on the R6, i went to an empty car park last night to practice. I discovered that I can’t even come close to doing tight figure-8s on my R6, even after a bit of screwing around. I know part of it is psychological, i really don’t want to risk dropping my R6, but part of it I’m sure is the bike... particularly: 1) the bars are hard to get to full lock without the tank getting in the way of my arms 2) while my throttle doesn’t have a huge amount of dead zone or anything, it definitely does have a very on/off action right at the point it rolls on 3) i’m not sure if it’s the Pazzo shorty levers, but the friction point of the clutch seems hard to maintain right where I want it while doing the figure-8s.

It’s driving me crazy... Any advice would be more than welcome. (I did notice a couple of old threads in the forum about people struggling with the R6 at low speed, but I thought it was still worthwhile asking this again)

Thanks,
Cam

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
That's because this biatch is made to fly not crawl..........

But seriously, the ergos on this bike are not set up for low speed maneuvers. I tried the DMV test on this bike and was like eff that.

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
That's because this biatch is made to fly not crawl..........

But seriously, the ergos on this bike are now set up for low speed maneuvers.
:stupic

·
Registered
175 Posts
The r6 is just not designed for low speed manoeuvres. You can change it a little bit but doing -1 on the front sprocket. This will let you ride the bike in 1st gear and going around 15 mph without stalling the bike.

In short: keep doing the 20 point turns;)

·
Forum Moderator
3,098 Posts
Here's what you need to do. Go back to your empty parking lot and set up some cones or red dixie cups. The trick is clutch friction zone and rear brake used together. Don't even touch the front brakes. As you are doing your turns pull the clutch in just enough to where it starts to engage, but not all the way. Use your rear break at the same time as you are going between the cones. You have to do these two things together. It will take some practice, so don't get frustrated. Remember, don't think about using the front brake.

Also, you don't want to look down at your front tire when doing this. You must keep your head up looking at the horizon. Looking down will only cause you to target fixate and you'll have to put your foot down. So, keep you head held up high as you do this. Again, it will take some time. Just keep at it...

·
vroom vroom...
589 Posts
Here's what you need to do. Go back to your empty parking lot and set up some cones or red dixie cups. The trick is clutch friction zone and rear brake used together. Don't even touch the front brakes. As you are doing your turns pull the clutch in just enough to where it starts to engage, but not all the way. Use your rear break at the same time as you are going between the cones. You have to do these two things together. It will take some practice, so don't get frustrated. Remember, don't think about using the front brake.

Also, you don't want to look down at your front tire when doing this. You must keep your head up looking at the horizon. Looking down will only cause you to target fixate and you'll have to put your foot down. So, keep you head held up high as you do this. Again, it will take some time. Just keep at it...
This sounds about right!

·
Registered
672 Posts

+1000 on don't use the front brake when going slow... Learned that the hard way once!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That was my issue when i first got my bike was trying pass my DMV test with the R6. They made me do the cones, then a U-turn. i knocked out the cones, but when it came to the u-turn, i went outside the lines about 3 inches so i failed. Im gna barrow my boy's gs500f to take the test.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i didnt find it too hard to do circles and figure 8s just gotta use the friction zone.. look through the turn and weight the outside peg a little worked pretty well for me

·
Registered
558 Posts

+ 1

rear brake and sometimes clutch friction zone... depending on whats going on

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thing is the more you do it the better you get. With my old bike it was hard at first and that bike has 100lbs on the 6 but now I can throw it around like nothing at slow speed. I'm still gettin used to the configuration of the 6 but soon enough. Most people don't realize you still gotta lean at low speed just minus the counter steering. Practice in a parking lot FTW.

·
Live Love burn Die.
270 Posts
when i was learning figure 8's on a honda 250, i was told to lean my body the other way and lean the bike down more, we most times do it intuitively cause it's instinct to stay up.. i assume it'd be the same for a 6.. mind you this is only at like under 7mph... dont lean the other way doing 70..

·
I <3 Orange Chicken
699 Posts
Tnx Skeeter. I have a co-worker who's been struggling with this too. I'll pass along the info. :)

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
:werd on using front brakes. I remember when i first got my bike, i was going 5mph into a gas station, turned my handlebars and pressed the front brake.... :nono

My nitz hit the tank soo hard and i almost dropped the bike, fcking scary and hurtin. Never front brake when your handlebars are turned. :fact

Just thougjt id share my newb moment.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Friction Zone, rear brake, use 2nd gear not 1st, look through the turn.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts