Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people using to plug the rain drain plugs in their lower race fairings?

I was thinking something like this:

But it seems pictures of plugs on other riders' fairings are a bit different, though this is at distance...

I found these at kurveygirl--anyone had experience with them?
http://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=478

They're cheap enough to try and see, but I used a hole saw to cut the 1" holes (as opposed to a stepped bit) so I'm not sure how well these will seal the potentially rough edges compared to the expansion plugs I listed first...

Thanks for the replies.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts
If you bump this thread tomorrow, I have site bookmarked on my work computer where you can get a couple of those literally for free as samples, and they have literally hundreds of plugs to choose from.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I would not use a compression plug especially on a fiberglass pan... but Im not sure why you'd want to compromise the ability of the pan to hold liquid? To drain some rain water?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i use a stepped drill bit to drill the proper hole size. You really only need one in the back of the pan. 2 just are not needed. Thing is, it needs to be a good quality rubber plug. I have seen some use a plastic hole insert thing that kind of "clips" into place. Those do not seal! and if you loose oil or coolant, it seeps around pretty bad.. rubber plug, then i usually cover that hole at the back from outside with gorilla tape.

honestly though, unless you are really planning to race in the rain, i would not drill holes in the belly pan. even if some DOES get in there during a rain race (it will) most will be sloshing out as you get around ..

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
For races in the rain so the belly pan doesn't fill with water. Race orgs allow for two drain holes that must be plugged for dry events.
Your belly pan won't fill with water. It may to some degree, but the majority of it is going to slosh out.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
It's a huge PITA when you wash the bike though.
the nice thing about race body... 4-6 dzus fasteners and the pan comes off allowing full unfettered access to your undercarriage! :lmao

Plus a belly pan full of water on the outlap freaks other riders out! :nocontrol

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
the nice thing about race body... 4-6 dzus fasteners and the pan comes off allowing full unfettered access to your undercarriage! :lmao

Plus a belly pan full of water on the outlap freaks other riders out! :nocontrol
No kidding...takes 3 seconds to drop the belly pan.

Better get used to it if you plan on racing. Part of the tech process...

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

·
Rad Ass
333 Posts
the few times i actually wash my bike, it's better to have the belly pan off. way easier to get grunge off the motor
My laziness of leaving them on causes so much extra time while washing...lesson learned, sack up an pull the fairing.

PS - White belly pan and white wheels - NIGHTMARE ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1395771855.068513.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I dunno, mine collects quite a bit of water when I ride in the rain. I think maybe it depends on the shape of your body work?

If I actually raced in the rain I would definitely install a plug, but since were all pussies in California we don't rain in the rain. I just tip the bike over and pour the water out between sessions at a rainy track day.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I am planning to race in the rain. Already have my rains mounted on my spare wheels just waiting for their chance to shine.

Not to mention my lowers are already off getting painted (with drain holes already cut)

Thanks redisdead, do I just call them up to ask for samples?

Melk, when you are referring to clip style plugs are you talking about these as being bad? Kurvey girl lists them as passing both AMA and CCS tech...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I am planning to race in the rain. Already have my rains mounted on my spare wheels just waiting for their chance to shine.

Not to mention my lowers are already off getting painted (with drain holes already cut)

Thanks redisdead, do I just call them up to ask for samples?

Melk, when you are referring to clip style plugs are you talking about these as being bad? Kurvey girl lists them as passing both AMA and CCS tech...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
put em in, then pour some water in to see if they leak. the plugs could be great, but if the holes are rough you will get liquid leaking around the plugs. I would use some good duct tape over the plugs regardless.. And i really do not see any reason to run 2 holes. water will drain plenty fast with one hole. 2 is just 2x the probability you leak oil or coolant should something go south with your motor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts