Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2001 r6, red and black i love it. I am not sure of the complete history of the bike, but it looks to be lowered. My roommate has an 02' r6 and his sits a lot higher than mine. I have ridden with a few other guys and theirs all seem to sit a lot higher. How can i look and see if it has been lowered? I looked at the settings of the rear shock compared to my roommates and they are the same but it looks to be lowered at least a few inches. Height isnt an issue i am 6'3, but i would like it to be where it should be. I am just learning how to ride for the most part so i havent driven it real hard into corners but i am sure there is a huge handling loss to where it should be. Any help would be great. I will try to post a pic of it but i dont have any close shots of it. Thanks

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
fairlady said:
My roommate has an 02' r6 and his sits a lot higher than mine.
What do you mean by this? Did you take some measurements to see what part of the bike is lower, or does it just feel lower? I'm not too sure how people lower the back (new shock?), but it seems to be pretty common to drop the triple clamps on the forks for the front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know if i am using the correct terms, but on the top of the shock the perch turns,above the spring, and they are set on the same, 2 out from max. I am new to all of this i appologize im sure i am confusing you. Looking at the bikes standing them straight up, the tail of mine sits a considerable amount lower than his. He recently had his serviced so i know his settings on his suspension is stock. They ride fairly similar, mine is a fair amount stiffer, but the overall look from the back mine sits lower. any thoughts?

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
fairlady said:
I dont know if i am using the correct terms, but on the top of the shock the perch turns,above the spring, and they are set on the same, 2 out from max.
Those are for preload adjustment and will not give the huge difference in ride height you are describing.

fairlady said:
I am new to all of this i appologize im sure i am confusing you. Looking at the bikes standing them straight up, the tail of mine sits a considerable amount lower than his. He recently had his serviced so i know his settings on his suspension is stock. They ride fairly similar, mine is a fair amount stiffer, but the overall look from the back mine sits lower. any thoughts?
It's possible a different shock was swapped in, but what about the front? Do the fronts of the bikes seem to be the same height?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the front also seems lower, i havent counted threads on the front yet. the shock and spring on both bikes look identical. is there anything else that would lower the bike?

·
Registered
586 Posts
lowering links (dogbones, mount to the bottom of the shock) could have been used in the back. in the front, look to see if the forks stick out of the top of the triple clamp more on yours than on your roomates. this will indicate it has been lowered.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
heres a good pic of what your forks will look like if your bike has been lowered. if you notice they stick out of the triple tree by about 2 inches, they should be somewhat flush with the top of the fork.

hope that helps :cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as the triple clamps they are mounted very close to the same, not sticking out 2 inches thats for sure, they are extended slightly top of the triple clamp but for reference they are both very close to the same. Does anyone have a pic of lowering links installed, somewhat of a closeup pic that i could use for reference. I went to tobefast.com but they just have it in the package and not of the bike. Thanks so far for all the replies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i double checked the bike and my roommates, they have the same amount of threads showing on the triple clamp. Also, i dont have any additional hardware for the rear such as the links, the settings are the exact same. I guess i wont worry about it, seems strange that mine would appear to be considerably (sp?) lower than his. i will have to take it to the dealer to see if they can figure anything out.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ok well one thing is the threads showing have nothing to do with the bike being lowered. that has to do with fork compresion i beleive. but unless you show us a pic its kinda hard to say wether or not its lowered since theres a few ways of doing it

·
Registered
586 Posts
fairlady said:
i double checked the bike and my roommates, they have the same amount of threads showing on the triple clamp. Also, i dont have any additional hardware for the rear such as the links, the settings are the exact same. I guess i wont worry about it, seems strange that mine would appear to be considerably (sp?) lower than his. i will have to take it to the dealer to see if they can figure anything out.
the lowering links aren't additional, they are a replacement for the exsisting/factory ones. they are sized different to change the geometry of the suspension.

Refering to the picture above, the triple clamp is the black part, the fork tube is the silver part and the preload the the blue part. the preload has the "threads" on them. the have very little to do with the ride height. the silver part sticking out of the black part is what you need to look at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts