Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a lowering kit for my 2006 R6S not sure if it is just cosmetics or is there a performance value to the kit??

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
if you want and it fits, i'll trade you my lowering link for your stock link? i have an 04 r6. i dont know a whole lot on lowering but i know your supposed to do the front and back. when i bought my bike the back was lowered way more than the front so i'm looking to put it back to stock. i dont know exactly what you need to lower the front but my front is lowered to. and handling isnt that bad. i can still get the bike leaned WAY over in the corners.

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
to lower the front...you just move the forks up in the triple. no extra parts needed
so to set the front back to stock you just let them out i guess. how hard is that to do? cuz i also need to tighten that bearing right below the triple tree nut and if i need that off to do it i might as well do both at the same time. thanks for the insight! :toocool:

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
handleing is still bad even if the front is lowered to match (especialy with high speed or tight cornering). when i bout my R6 it was lowered 3 inches, all my other bikes were stock height. i decied to try it out since it was the first time i have every flat footed a 600. i'm just under 5' 8". when i brought it back to stock it was an amazing difference.

its easy to raise or lower the front and rear suspension, just take time and patience. i took me and my buddy a while to tweek everything to perfection.

if you still want to do it i can sell you my old one cheap.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
The first question I have is what are you using your bike for? If it is tracking you wouldn't be asking this particular question. If you are a street rider, what type of performance do you need to ride the roads? I mean most people don't even come close to riding their R6 to it's capabilities. Most people don't even have their suspension set, or bike tweaked out in terms of performance. So I would think you most likely will not realize any performance difference if you decide to use lowering links.

·
It's a lifestyle
155 Posts
I agree with everyone when they say that lowering affects the handling BUT if you set it up just right and keep the drop minimal then you can still have a bike that handles really well.

I lowered my old (2004)R6 just over an inch (1.5") front and rear along with adding a 70 series front tire. I had the rear coil and the front shocks all tuned for my weight. I gave my friend with an '07 gsxr 750 and another buddy with an '04 gsxr 600 a serious run for their money through Blue Ridge Mountain Road and Snickersville Pike (here in Northern VA). They are both experienced riders.

The only downside I experienced from lowering the bike was that I had to put more effort in to tucking my feet in and and keeping my heels high otherwise my feet would touch the ground. I also had to remove the 'feet' hanging off of each peg.

I'm sure the bike would've been easier to handle if it was at stock height but it could still cut the corners lowered. I would advise that after you got use to the bike you raise it back up to stock height. DO NOT sell/trade your stock suspension parts.

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
oh, i thout u were implying that it was something like the chain and sprockets where each bike makes its own pattern. forget what i said, i was lost and confused but am ok now :screwy

·
till the wheels fall off
48 Posts
i lowered mine 1.5 in and now when i go to the track i drag my exsaust and my fairings on the tight turns thats the only downfall

·
It's a lifestyle
155 Posts
i lowered mine 1.5 in and now when i go to the track i drag my exsaust and my fairings on the tight turns thats the only downfall
You must've lowered it more than 1.5" or changed something else because my rear sets would hit well before my fairings or exhaust.

·
morphing is cool
523 Posts
i think if you flip the links it will lower the bike a little. if it works at least you would get an idea

·
It's a lifestyle
155 Posts
i only lowered the back thats what i think it is.
any pictures of the parts? I am having a very hard time figuring out just how these parts are scraping. :screwy

and shame on you, you go to the track with an R6 that lowered let alone lowered in just the rear. :bash

·
till the wheels fall off
48 Posts
They Are Just Dog Bones Thats All There Is To It. Right Now Im Just Waiting To Get My Bike Back From My Friends Muffler Shop Im Getting A Mid Pipe And Ill Be Putting My Pc3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts