Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i got an 07 r6 which is in the process of becoming a show bike. im getting a new r1, so im not worried about the handling of the r6, and the r6 may also see a few dragstrip passes. as far as the rear goes, im getting the lowering links, but what about the front? i dont want to strap it because it looks like shit, and i dont think it can be all that good for the forks. i guess i could raise the tubes up, which looks like shit, or i can have the tubes recut, but will not aloow me to raise it back up if i wanted to. what would you guys do? if you are against lowering a bike, just refrain from commenting.

·
burrr
158 Posts
If you want to lower the front, the best way is to cut the springs the amount you want it lowered. I am against lowering bikes, but i dont think there is anything wrong with lowering show bikes.:cheers

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
if its a showbike or drag bike go for it, i just hated the way mine handled when it was lowered.

i have heard of people cutting the springs, but how low do you plan on going? you could find a used set of forks on ebay, craigslist, or a bike salvage place and you can do what ever you want to them and still not worry about raising it later. it shouldnt be too bad it its a show bike, since i'm sure your going to be redoing and changing things on a lot of parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have an '07 and in the back i just put it on the last dog bone...it's pretty simple.
i had to do it, cause im not the tallest guy in the world...and i want to be comfortable on my bike. it don't scrape with me on it..(but then again i weigh 125lbs)

and in the front i just dropped the forks down a touch to make it even.

free to do.
just takes about an hour.

but thats as low as it goes..
with all the stock parts.

EDIT: haha not a serious pic.
i was doing something stupid.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I would highly NOT advise cutting springs, this goes back to lowering my truck here. If you ever see a lowered vehicle with heated/compressed/cut springs the ride is very bouncy or sags terribly. The springs were made at that length and stiffness for a reason, you cut it and it will throw the entire leftover of the spring off, your bike will ride worse than anything else you could possibly do to it, and you'll see a lot of bottomin out

·
burrr
158 Posts
If you dont want to cut the springs you could call racetech and see if they can get you some at the length you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts