Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lowering my bike. My question is....will lowering links lower the whole bike, or will I need to do something to the front as well? I don't mena to sound stupid or anything, it's just that I am new at foolig around with my suspension. Any input would be most appreciated! Thanks again!

·
Banned
660 Posts
youd probably have to lower the front as well...not sure though but i read a couple of threads and it seemed that people who were putting links on were also lowering their front end...but again me not sure. bout takin to a shop maybe?? how much are you lowering it to??

I am lowering my bike. My question is....will lowering links lower the whole bike, or will I need to do something to the front as well? I don't mena to sound stupid or anything, it's just that I am new at foolig around with my suspension. Any input would be most appreciated! Thanks again!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes you have to lower the front end, or the back will be sagging and the front will be high. To lower the front, the easy way out is to push the fork tubes up. I've never experienced the other way, but I guess you can disassemble the forks and cut the springs? Also, when you lower your bike you might have to cut the kickstand, or buy an adjustable kickstand. I've figured out however many inches you lower your bike, divide that in half and cut the kickstand by that much. For example if you lower your bike 3 inches front and rear, you have to cut the kickstand an inch and a half. I don't think it's critical to cut the kickstand if you are only lowering it an inch. If it doesn't lean enough I would.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are a few ways you can lower the from you can drop your forks threw your triple tree or you can buy some straps as well. Brock's performance makes some good ones. Just make sure that when you lower the front it is EXACTLY the same hight on both forks or your bike will be lop sided and you could have some handlling issues or maybe even cause a crash. And for your kicks stand you dot really have to cut it you can just bend it out a bit or buy an adjustible one.

·
burrr
158 Posts
TJust make sure that when you lower the front it is EXACTLY the same hight on both forks or your bike will be lop sided and you could have some handlling issues or maybe even cause a crash.
Your going to have some serious handling issues anyway if you lower it. Why again do you want to lower it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided against lowering it. I've talked to a number of people, and got various opinions, and it's just not worth it. The bike rides amazing as it is, so why bother it. I appreciate all you guys input, and it helped me out a lot. Safe riding and see ya on the streets!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've decided against lowering it. I've talked to a number of people, and got various opinions, and it's just not worth it. The bike rides amazing as it is, so why bother it. I appreciate all you guys input, and it helped me out a lot. Safe riding and see ya on the streets!
If you can't reach the ground with both feet flat then lower it. I lowered mine and it handles great. Don't let everyone's horror stories scare you. I doubt they have ever riden a lowered bike. Mine has a 2 inch drop simple to do and still handles better than my friends stock CBR600 and another friends ninja.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I have had a lot of experience lowering bikes and in general, I am against it, and here's why.

First of all, the bike was designed with its geometry to work a certain way and messing with that can very adversely affect the steering, handling and stability of the bike.

Second, you lose ground clearance. This isnt a big deal till you hit the $400 oil pan or crush your $1500 exhaust. Or maybe you just scrape the crap out of your pegs at the track when you know you could be leaning over way farther.

Third, its not necessary. You do not need to be flat footed with both feet. Want proof, go to the track where you have smaller teens ripping 600s, one foot on the ground when parked. Hell, Ricky Carmichael, the G.O.A.T motocrosser sure as hell couldn't touch with both feet flat.

Fourth, makes loading the bike in a trailer or truck (especially fullsize 4x4) a complete pain in the ass. Again, watch your exhaust and plastics. My ramp is missing a couple of slats, courtesy of my Kawi's oil drain bolt.

Fifth, it can be extremely dangerous if you dont know what you are doing. Moving the forks up in the clamps effective moves the front tire closer to the radiator. Consider the fun you will have if the tire hits the radiator.

Lastly, the benefits do not outweigh the costs in my book, unless you are drag racing or a legal midget. I have a Kawi 636 drag bike that is lowered with Naarden adjustable lowering links (the twist adjust kind, not with the three holes) and strapped with the brocks stuff as mentioned. Its awesome for the strip, but the straps make it hard to steer and it scrapes EVERYWHERE.

This is just my opinion, and yeah, you can go ahead and tell me I am wrong..whatever, but don't say I didnt warn you...

·
burrr
158 Posts
i think you'll be glad you didnt lower it. you can always cut some of the foam out of your seat

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have had a lot of experience lowering bikes and in general, I am against it, and here's why.

First of all, the bike was designed with its geometry to work a certain way and messing with that can very adversely affect the steering, handling and stability of the bike.

Second, you lose ground clearance. This isnt a big deal till you hit the $400 oil pan or crush your $1500 exhaust. Or maybe you just scrape the crap out of your pegs at the track when you know you could be leaning over way farther.

Third, its not necessary. You do not need to be flat footed with both feet. Want proof, go to the track where you have smaller teens ripping 600s, one foot on the ground when parked. Hell, Ricky Carmichael, the G.O.A.T motocrosser sure as hell couldn't touch with both feet flat.

Fourth, makes loading the bike in a trailer or truck (especially fullsize 4x4) a complete pain in the ass. Again, watch your exhaust and plastics. My ramp is missing a couple of slats, courtesy of my Kawi's oil drain bolt.

Fifth, it can be extremely dangerous if you dont know what you are doing. Moving the forks up in the clamps effective moves the front tire closer to the radiator. Consider the fun you will have if the tire hits the radiator.

Lastly, the benefits do not outweigh the costs in my book, unless you are drag racing or a legal midget. I have a Kawi 636 drag bike that is lowered with Naarden adjustable lowering links (the twist adjust kind, not with the three holes) and strapped with the brocks stuff as mentioned. Its awesome for the strip, but the straps make it hard to steer and it scrapes EVERYWHERE.

This is just my opinion, and yeah, you can go ahead and tell me I am wrong..whatever, but don't say I didnt warn you...
The same amount of money can be spent on repairs from an inexperienced rider, without shure footing, laying it over at a stop sign.. I am not going to tell you that you are wrong, but everyone seems assume that all these bikes are track bikes. Daily commuters and weekend warriors that don't go to the track probably wont ever use their bikes to their full potential. Therefore lowering it won't keep them from missing any of its cornering abbilities. I would agree that you don't need to have both feet flat on a track (controled environment), but on the street with cagers you need to be a comfortable as possible. I don't feel very comfortable when i'm on my tip toes waiting for the light to turn, especially with the added weight of a passenger. Lower it, don't lower it, just remember all you will ever get from us forum members are opinions. If you want facts contact Yamaha and find out what the safest alternative would be.

·
burrr
158 Posts
lowering it may look cool, but there is nothing cool about scraping you fairings or busting your oil pan on a speed bump. All the people that tell you to lower it probably have no clue about suspension set up in the first place.

Mine has a 2 inch drop simple to do and still handles better than my friends stock CBR600 and another friends ninja.
I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
lowering it may look cool, but there is nothing cool about scraping you fairings or busting your oil pan on a speed bump. All the people that tell you to lower it probably have no clue about suspension set up in the first place.

I seriously doubt it.
your right. not a clue, but I look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool:toocool:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys again for all the help, in both directions! I'm not going to mess with it right now, but who knows, maybe down the road sometime!

·
Registered
69 Posts
i lowered mine. handle just fine. just don't go more than 2 inches. You can never beat the bikes limits weather it is regular or lowered. Trust me nothing wrong with lowering the bike. If you haven't lower or done some thing please don't give advice about what you heard or what ever. Its not really helpful. I wasted 2 months debating and in the end take the chance and now wish i should of just have the dealer do it for free when i got the bike.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help! I will take it into consideration. Yeah, I was just going to lower it 2 inches, and no more! Safe riding!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have my bike lowered an inch and it handles fine, its just easier to ride because I can tip toe with both feet instead of struggling with it, Yeah I'm short :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you look to the left you will see me on my 07 R6s. Even though it is not explicitly recommended I did not lower the front so it "sags" 1.5" in the rear and the front is stock height. I did have to cut the stand to lean the bike but damn well worth it. Even though the front and rear are not symmetrical i have been on the track and through several experienced rider courses with this bike and the handling def improved because i am 5ft6in 140lbs.. it handles fine and as long as you aren't on the street riding like a di*k you will be fine. :drink

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I can add some more to this thread. I put a set of 2 inch links on my 2008 this weekend so that my woman could drag race it more effectively while her bike is in the shop. I absolutely hate it that way. Rides like absolute crap and the suspension straight po-gos. It sits low in the back, high in the front. I like a bike with some rake and it aint that cool when you roll aroudn looking like you have an invisible fat girl on the back. Very uncomfortable, and in my opinion, less safe when it comes to having to manuever. I cannot wait to switch it back. By the way, my woman, at a whopping 104 lbs and 5'5" tall doesnt complain about being to short to ride it around.

I fully stand behind my previous statements and those of some other people. Not to be a jerk, but I would have to agree that those who say there is nothing wrong with lowering a bike in terms of handling or safety either have never done it, or have no idea about how a bike is supposed to handle or how suspension is supposed to be set up. I very, very seriosuly doubt that duder's bike handles better lower than his buddy's CBR also. Either your buddy sucks or there is something wrong with his bike. Do you really think Yamaha would endorse this? They spend tons of time and money to engineer their bikes a specific way, the way that works BEST. If they thought it was a good idea to lower it, they would offer a lowering accessories kit. They do not.

In the world of what-ifs that we live in, what if you smash your pan or uber-expensive exhaust on a speed bump or smash your fairing on a pot hole. How cool does your bike look then? What if it hits and then pitches you on on your ass? Yeah, what ifs I know, but I have a buddy with a lowered2004 zx10 with 2 oil pans, some ragged fairings, and a bike back up to stock height after that crap.

I have to disagree that we are all just giving opinions as well. Some of us have been down the road and are offering experience. If you want to be a parking lot pimp with your bike all low, thats your thing, but no whining when you trash something or toss it because of that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No one here agrees on having your bike lowered for looks. We are lowering it because we are having a hard time touching the ground.

Redisdead... you said you lowered the back 2in but you never lowered the front so you of course the front will be higher than the back and it wont handle right.

I wish i can be taller but I can't but i wont let that stop me from riding a SPORT bike. Post Number 10 from dingosmitty Really sums it up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts