Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine with an 06 R6 had his tires changed yesterday at a local shop and the mechanic decided to lube his chain for him (without cleaning it). The guy used WAY too much lube and now its all over his rim, brand new rear tire, swing arm, and kickstand.

My question is this; what can we use to get the lube off of the TIRE, not the rim, but the actual tire?

I tried searching on google and on the forums but came up with nothing. A few people said use WD-40 but then how would you get the WD-40 off of the tire? Sounds like a circular issue.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
dish soap and a brush or a degreaser of sorts is probably an easy way.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i would say soap and water.. scrub scrub scrub.. i hope its not still on there soaking in tho...

EDIT: (not sure if it would soak in, but why risk it)

when i got excess lube on my tires, i just got a paper towel and wiped it off and took it easy the next ride..

but then, i didn't have that much that there..

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
When my new chain flung all the factory grease all over my tire, I used a degreaser from the autoparts store, some sort of product that was in an orange bottle, and smelled like oranges. It was $3-4 something like that, worked great.

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When my new chain flung all the factory grease all over my tire, I used a degreaser from the autoparts store, some sort of product that was in an orange bottle, and smelled like oranges. It was $3-4 something like that, worked great.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. We ended up using dishwashing soap (Ajax soap or something of the sort), and wiped it down well with a rag while letting the rear spin on the stand.

Aside from that, anyone know how bad it is to get radiator coolant (from the bottle) on there.. well, if it splashes on while flushing out and refilling the system? I'm assuming there's no oil base liquid in the coolant to worry about?

Let me know if any of you are familiar with possible coolant issues on the tire.

I'm sure many will find this thread useful.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. We ended up using dishwashing soap (Ajax soap or something of the sort), and wiped it down well with a rag while letting the rear spin on the stand.

Aside from that, anyone know how bad it is to get radiator coolant (from the bottle) on there.. well, if it splashes on while flushing out and refilling the system? I'm assuming there's no oil base liquid in the coolant to worry about?

Let me know if any of you are familiar with possible coolant issues on the tire.

I'm sure many will find this thread useful.
I doubt coolant would damage the tire or anything like that. The bike has rubber hoses on it that the coolant runs through, etc..

And the cleanup would be the same procedure using the same products, etc

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Glad the dish soap method worked for ya....

But just to let you know WD40 does work, and doesnt leave an oily residue. I just get a shop rag and spray a little on the rag so its a little wet and wipe the side wall then use a dry portion of the rag to dry it...nothing bad has ever happened from that...mainly (and guys correct me if Im wrong) WD40 is not petroleum based...

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
Yeah I get lube on my tire right after I lube my chain, then ride. About to switch to Chain guard, apparently its fling resistant.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I usually just take it easy until it's worn off.. No big deal, it's not like the tire is SATURATED in lube.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
so when you lube the chain, i have white motorex lube and i spray it and it's all white and it covers teh chain, are you supposed to wipe it afterwards? cause this morning when i went for a ride, i saw a ton of white shiiit on my rear tire on the left side..then leaned the bike over to the left while going straight, then it was all gone..

should i need to worry or just wet the rear tire and rub it with a rag?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
WD40 is not petroleum based...
Yes it is, pretty sure is says so on the can. I pulled up the website though and it's mentioned on the MSDS sheet for WD-40.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
are you supposed to wipe it afterwards?
I do. Wiping down the outside won't hurt anything at all, all you need on the outside of the chain is a real thin coat to keep it from rusting thats all. I spray mine, let it sit for a while, then wipe it back down to keep the fling to a minimum.

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
I do. Wiping down the outside won't hurt anything at all, all you need on the outside of the chain is a real thin coat to keep it from rusting thats all. I spray mine, let it sit for a while, then wipe it back down to keep the fling to a minimum.
:werd

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
but the actual part of the chain when your facing your bike from the rear tire where the teeth on the sprocket go inside the chain, i had lube on it..you obviously don't wipe it and just let it dry right? cause i guess when i was riding it just all disappeared, guessing it melted in or something..lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts