Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,

How often should I lube my chain ? Is it bad to lube too much, what are the variables ? Should I lube after 2-3 rides or a certain milage ? Please provide me with answers.

Thank you !

:stupic

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
my mechanic told me to lube every couple a hundred miles or so very lightly and especially after you ride in the rain or I do it everytime I get the chain wet (i.e. after a good washing) I just lighty hit it with some HondaLube making sure i get the whole chain. that's it.

have fun

·
Registered
112 Posts
I lube every other tank of fuel, or after I wash or ride in the rain. A buddy of mine overlubes his, does it every single gas tank or if he gets bored. All it does is make a mess and fling off. No big deal as long as you find a cleaner that takes it off easy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just use WD-40 on mine after a wash to get the watter off it. The critical lube is sealed inside the o-rings so going overboard with all the wax/lube and other goop is not needed in my opinion. I run o-ring chains on my dirtbikes and only clean/spray them with WD-40 and they encounter a lot worse enviroment in dirt & mud than the R6 does on the street.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Speaking of that I'm changing the chain on my bike because I let it sit up for a long time with nothing done to it. I like chain lube from motul. What are you guys and gals using?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Number9 said:
I just use WD-40 on mine after a wash to get the watter off it. The critical lube is sealed inside the o-rings so going overboard with all the wax/lube and other goop is not needed in my opinion. I run o-ring chains on my dirtbikes and only clean/spray them with WD-40 and they encounter a lot worse enviroment in dirt & mud than the R6 does on the street.
yup, excess lube will keep dirt and grit in it and can speed up the wearing process.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You should clean the chain once in a while, too. Not just keep adding lube. PJ1 makes an awesome chain cleaner in a can that makes the chain look brand new with little or no work other than spraying it on, and letting it dry. I use it for street, and dirt.
I've got 19k miles on my stock chain, and its not even to the halfway marks on the swingarm yet. I clean it and lube it when it looks like it needs it...about every 800 miles or so. Every 300 is a pain in the ass.
Be sure to lube it when the chain is warm, and put the lube on the inside of the chain, anything on the outside will just fly off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts