Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
You won't find a better ypipe. We put up some high res pictures as well. I'm not sure if you saw those. You should get a fuel controller for sure with that ypipe though. I wouldn't recommend it without a fuel controller.

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
M4 definately makes the best looking Ypipe, no question.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
After looking at the mid pipe that the previous owner put on the bike before I got it I'm thinking about getting an M4, it is so much smoother and the quality just seems so much better. The price isn't too bad either if you ask me.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
The problem is that most of the other makers before m4 didn't even have a pipe bender. So they are normally straight pipes welded together which for a ypipe makes for a bad design for air flow. Basically M4 took their high flow collector that they use on their full exhausts and made the ypipe. They even weld inside of it to make the best knife edge for the best flow.

After looking at the mid pipe that the previous owner put on the bike before I got it I'm thinking about getting an M4, it is so much smoother and the quality just seems so much better. The price isn't too bad either if you ask me.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
The problem is that most of the other makers before m4 didn't even have a pipe bender. So they are normally straight pipes welded together which for a ypipe makes for a bad design for air flow. Basically M4 took their high flow collector that they use on their full exhausts and made the ypipe. They even weld inside of it to make the best knife edge for the best flow.
Hey GSXCorey, I could put any slip-on with the M4 Y-Pipe right?..

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
The y-pipe is just meant to replace the enormous beast of a cat in your stock exhaust. Any pipe (stock or aftermarket) you put on your bike should match up with the y-pipe just like it would if you kept the cat.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Olson Performance makes a legit y-pipe as well. Cheaper than the M4 and the owner is a cool mofûcka. :fact

Who cares what it looks like?? You'll barely see it. Just sayin'..

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
That Olson mid pipe looks exactly like the one that's on my bike, not nearly as nice as the M4. True looks aren't always a big deal aesthetically, but compare the two and tell me which one probably flows better. Maybe the M4 will perform better, maybe it won't but if it does wouldn't you want it, especially for only an extra $20?

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
That Olson mid pipe looks exactly like the one that's on my bike, not nearly as nice as the M4. True looks aren't always a big deal aesthetically, but compare the two and tell me which one probably flows better. Maybe the M4 will perform better, maybe it won't but if it does wouldn't you want it, especially for only an extra $20?
They used to be 135$ iirc. So an extra 35$ would be enough for me to decide between the two. Even 20$ difference would make me lean toward olson.

I stand by olson because Mitch hooked me up when he didn't have to. Long story, but that guy is the sh!t.. Two of my friends run his y pipe and they sound/perform great! One friend had his bike dyno'd with olson y pipe and yoshi slip on, came off the dyno at 112hp

·
Avid Enthusiast
7,408 Posts
You can't really start complaining about flow.....you're looking at midpipes after all. You want flow, buy a full exhaust.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
You can't really start complaining about flow.....you're looking at midpipes after all. You want flow, buy a full exhaust.
If I did that I wouldn't have money for the other goodies I want to get.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
dtcrew: the pipe bender isn't for looks, but flow.

ghostr6: A quality ypipe and slipon will put you closer to a full exhaust then a slipon performance wise. This is why you'll need a fuel controller with this set up as well. This is why most bike owners buy a slipon if the slipon removes the catalytic converter. Bang for the buck it's just an unbeatable mod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts