Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Eh, it's okay. I'll occasionally pull mine out when I need to use it fix another Apple PC who's OS-X was screwed with malware or has a failing HDD. It's good for keeping basic Linux CLI skills fresh.

Ignoring my work laptop, most of my PC time is spent on a 2-in-1 touchscreen Dell. Fraction of the cost and in addition to being a traditional laptop, it's also a tablet with accelerometer, gyro, sensor core. Didn't really need it but recently swapped out the HDD for SSD. S.M.A.R.T. stats on the 500GB Seagate HDD were still good, despite taking a couple of really nasty drops recently. I've had really good results with Segate over the decades. The HP laptops tend to have better quality materials versus Dell but I just couldn't justify the price even if it adds biometrics. The Apple PC I got for next to nothing in exchange for fixing a couple of other computers. Nice hardware specs but it'll be a matter of time before that nVidia chip takes dump. Try to avoid running it in Target Disk Mode for that reason - temps get way up there which drastically shortens life span.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Snakes work in all industries. The bad thing is Apple has a pattern of purposefully doing things to keep you running back to them.

Just repaired a laptop where the CPU was running running open air because the PC shop never reinstalled a thermal pad; dust was settling between the heatsink and CPU LoL. I only noticed because CPU usage was capped around 50%. (it was trying to stay beneath 100°C)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts