Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while back I bought an undented (used) tank for my bike and just got around to it as I'm putting it back back together. It didn't occur to me until now that the lock on the lid is for a different key. Old tank/lock is long gone if I remember straight.
What are my options solutions?
Many thanks in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
just stick a big flat head screwdriver in the lock , and TWIST. it will break a pin and you will be able to simply use any screwdriver like object to open it. I do this on my race bikes.. i HATE those vortex caps. At least 2 times a year someone doesn't screw one on all the way and it gets lost somewhere on track. I had one years ago, mechanic didn't screw on all way, MR12 race fuel in my lap when the lid came off. NO FUN.
WOn't ever need a key to get in there from now on..

·
I like corners.
357 Posts
just stick a big flat head screwdriver in the lock , and TWIST. it will break a pin and you will be able to simply use any screwdriver like object to open it. I do this on my race bikes.. i HATE those vortex caps. At least 2 times a year someone doesn't screw one on all the way and it gets lost somewhere on track. I had one years ago, mechanic didn't screw on all way, MR12 race fuel in my lap when the lid came off. NO FUN.
WOn't ever need a key to get in there from now on..
The current versions (V3 I think?) are awesome. The lid can't back off because there's a locking/rotating tab, and it also doesn't have those stupid fine threads that help it get stuck so tight.

I hated my old Vortex cap as you do, but I love the one I have now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts