Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm track only, I'm curious how the maintenance schedule goes....currently I'm at 4000 miles ish. Only thing I done is air filter change and oil changes.

I plan on doing the spark plugs at the one year mark of my bike then do the fork oil at the end of the season next year.

So far I currently have three trackday under the r6. I change my oil after every two trackday with rotella.

Curious what everyone else is doing for the maintenance schedule since a track only bike is a lil different when it come to maintenance intervals with mileage.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
-- full suspension service at start/end of season and halfway through season
-- oil change before every weekend on track, filter every other
-- plugs and pivot points (swingarm, steering head) lube every off season, air filter inspection (one of the things i need to upkeep better)
-- steering damper refresh every other season
-- chain clean and lube morning of every day on track
-- clean/lube axles every race/track weekend
-- wash after every event
-- valve clearance check every off season
-- brake fluid every other event

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
I don't race, I'm just a track junkie.. Middle of the pack intermediate group, and I do this:

Lube chain at the end of every track day.
new oil/filter every 4-5 dry days
Suspension refresh at the end of every season.
Plugs.... maybe every other season.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts

·
My bike is my therapist
287 Posts
It really wears out brake fluid that quickly when you ride on the track? Currently change it about once a year street riding..

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
It really wears out brake fluid that quickly when you ride on the track? Currently change it about once a year street riding..

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

No... But it's the same with people changing synthetic oil after every track weekend. Some people just wanna throw money at a thing, so you've just gotta let 'em.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Brake fluid flushes every few days too.
ah yes forgot about that. i do it, just didn't write it down.

lever feel is no longer consistent and gets mushy after a few rounds at the track.

i do it as a pre race maintenance ritual, that way i know when i unload my bike at the track my brakes are going to be solid every time.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
ah yes forgot about that. i do it, just didn't write it down.

lever feel is no longer consistent and gets mushy after a few rounds at the track.

i do it as a pre race maintenance ritual, that way i know when i unload my bike at the track my brakes are going to be solid every time.
:fact

I luv me a fresh bleed and flush

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
If your just a track day person you should be fine with a more relaxed regimen.

Oil change every 4 track days, or 4 months, which ever comes first.

Change the brake fluid once a year.

New chain once a year. Be sure to do a cleaning and lube job before every track day.

You can do the suspension refurbish once a year, or every two years even. It is best to do it once a year.

The swing arm & steering head bearing should be done once a year, but can honestly go for two, or more without issue. Again it is best to do it once a year though.

Coolant flush and change once a year. This is a must do.

Clean the air filter with every oil change.

Change the plugs once a year, or as needed. They are truly good for 8,000 miles. You won't get that many in a year on the track only.

I go through a check list before every track day that goes over all the little things:

Check important bolts before every track day if they are not safety wired. I check the throttle cable to be sure it's not fraying or starting to split.

I check wheel bearings for play and and do a quick once over on any thing that has been changed!

I always start the bike to be sure that my temp warning light comes on ( I don't use fans and placed an LED light in their place ) , or the fans work when they are supposed to.

I listen closely to the engine while it's getting up to temp for any possible issues.

While I have the tank up I do a check of all the rubber hoses for cracks.

I always check the oil, brakes, water level, clutch play, steering damper function, clip on bolts and bars, as well as fuel level.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anytime the air filter is checked, check the throttle body sync and adjust as needed.

If I'm really working the brakes, I get no more than 2 days before needing to bleed the brakes to keep the lever up.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
No... But it's the same with people changing synthetic oil after every track weekend. Some people just wanna throw money at a thing, so you've just gotta let 'em.
Yup. Most track riders change their oil too frequently. They will say the $30 for a few quarts of high end oil is cheaper than buying a new motor; that it's cheap insurance. And maybe they are right, no sense in trying to talk them out of it.

I run Amsoil. I do about 1 to 2 track weekends (2-4 days) per month during the summer. I've had one Amsoil rep tell me I could go all season on the same fill, and another said a few months, easy. I normally change it at the beginning of the season, then once more in the middle.

If an R6 motor fails (especially a built motor) it's probably because the oil level was low or the bike was cold, not because the oil was old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts