Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey im kind of new to riding. I got my 07 r6 right before the beginning of the summer of last year. so ive technically only had 1 season of riding under my belt so far. anyway...my wrists start to throb in pain about an hour of riding and eventually becomes unbearable. Bad enough that my clutch hand eventually goes numb and i cant pull the clutch. it feels like i have too much weight on my wrists due to the positioning of the bike. is there anything i can do to make my bike a tad more comfortable? Its only my bike too. when i ride my buddies 07 cbr im fine. his bike is lowered in the back where as mine is stock height for now. i dont do wheelies or stunt or anything like that. just cruise the highways and country roads.

·
drag some knee
494 Posts
i got mine about the same time you did, and at first my hands would go to sleep bc i would sqeeze the tar out of mt grips but id say the thing that helped me the most was gaining experience and learning to relax.. and the more i rode the better it got.. this is my first crotch rocket i grew up with dirt bikes and four wheelers and never noticed the numbness i had got when rideing my r6 but with time its all went away

oh and what made mine feel better i lowered my levers down, felt way better for me

·
Nut 'N Bitch
1,736 Posts
Hold on with your knees a little more and a little less of your hands. keep your hands moving and the blood flowing....do wheelies ;)

·
Track Day Junkie
594 Posts
Its in your body position. Im 6'4 and my hands have never gone numb and ive ridden 300+ miles in a day on my 6. Like ^^ said use your knees more as well as your back and abbs to take some of the weight off your writs. Also dont give the bars a death grip, that will help as well.

If you have a rear stand put it up on it and sit on the bike and play with using your abbs and back and not your arms. It is possible to hold yourself up without using your arms at all, and still be touching the grips. If you dont have a stand get a friend to hold you up.

Hope this helps.

·
I eat Vespas
88 Posts
+1 on all the above. Plus I've learned softer grips/gloves can aid. I really try not to put weight on my arms much at all.
Relax.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would aftermarket clip-ons help? i was told they would

·
Nut 'N Bitch
1,736 Posts
waste-o-money. Iv heard the same before but either way your going to have to adjust your body position. Its not like your changing your bars to ape hangers or anything

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
if you are on the highway, let the wind keep you up, that takes off a lot of strain from your hands/wrists.
as everyone else said, balance more using legs and not hands.
Coming from a SV, I had similar troubles at first, as I got used to the six, feels natural now. You will eventually get it if you really try.

·
Track Day Junkie
594 Posts
No, they usually lower the bars height for a more aggressive position. Work on your body position, thats your answer pure and simple. If you really think you need to buy something to help check out Helibars.com, not sure if they make a kit for our bike but they might.

·
U.S. Marine
1,099 Posts
The ergos of an R6 are a lot different than a CBR in the wrist area. Like the other guy said, use your knees a lot more and somewhat keep your weight centered over the seat/tank area. There are a couple of riding positions I use on my 08 for long rides. I just kinda get used to that permanent tingle in my wrist though. And not sure about clip-ons....

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
the tip someone has given on here was that you should hold your bars with as much force as you would a cup of coffee and to do that you would need to put more weight on the pegs/seat and hold the tank with your knees and use your abs as well...

hope it helps

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
As mentioned before body position and using your legs and core to hold yourself up will help a lot. One thing about aftermarket clip ons, I have the Vortex and they aren't any higher but they are parallel to the ground instead of angling down like the stockers, that seems to be a better angle for the wrists, it alone won't help but i find it does make a difference.

·
Knee dragger in training.
548 Posts
Tank grips help with using your knees to grip the tank. At Under $40 for a set its a worthwhile investment. It also helps in cornering as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts