Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so i've been riding for about a year now on my R6 and one thing that i can't get right is how to go fast around right turns. I'm able to take fast left turns but it's something about turning right that gives me problems i'm not able to lean as far into the turn as i can left. My chicken strip on my left of my tire is all the way to the edge but the right still needs abit more to go. Does anyone have any advice of how i can learn to lean more into right turns any practice tips. i just don't trust myself leaning as far as i do left.

thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
do everything you normally do goin left, just the other way... lol
but seriously i have the same issue, i always thought it was cuz im left handed

·
Waiting On the weather...
1,270 Posts
I have the exact opposite problem. I can turn right easily and at speed. I have trouble turning left. I even had the same problem with my last bike.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea it's been something that i've been trying to practice for a while now. I just can't seem to get the hang of it. lol. i guess it'll just come with practice.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Couple things... They call um chicken strips for a reason... For whatever reason ur scared while making ur right hand turns. Some people have a harder time turning towards their throttle hand... Just focus on a few things, such as your body position in comparison to when you make a left turn, and also make sure ur not locking ur elbows, especially your right elbow when making a right hand turn. I good body position will have your face down near your mirror, try to kiss it, and your elbow well bent, as well as mostly just your outer cheek on the seat... Hope I explained that well enough... Get rid of those chicken strips! haha

·
Registered
585 Posts
Are you talking about coming up to a green light and making a right turn?

I find that I will go into first gear for these turns... I think I'm doing like 15 MPH, maybe more if the road is OK.

You have to make sure you're entering the right turn from the left side of your lane. Some people are already on the right side of their lane then start making a right turn, which puts them WAY further out on the turn.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,296 Posts
All excellent advice so far...

Also might want to consider raising your bike back up to stock...having it lowered makes the dynamics of the suspension different...plus the geometry might be off on one side because of the lowering...

I could be totally wrong, but just wanted to throw out the possibility...

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
I have always been more comfortable at turning left since the day I started riding anything.

I guess I'm just not an ambi-turner :lmao

Seriously tho, you need to just keep practicing. Eventually you will get more comfortable making the right turns. Don't worry about the chicken strips. Mine were lopsided for a really long time.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Hey, don't forget your tire wears more on the left side due to the crown in the road. So if you're just looking at tire wear, the right turn problems could be your imagination.

-D

·
I hate mosquitoes...
196 Posts
Same thing happens to me, my guess is that my foot position is not correct because i tend to always have my right foot over the brake...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for thier advice. i'll take note of all of this next time i ride.(which will be in a few hours..lol) i'm going to work on my body position on my right handers hopefully i see a difference. i'm trying to get my self prepared for some track days that are coming up. so i want to be able to corner abit better then now before i head out there.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Are you having difficulties making the turn at speed or from a stop? I am in exactly the same position as you except I ride primarily on the track, mentally there is something wrong with me as I am not as comfortable on left turns as I am on right turns. My knee pad is well worn on the one side and just barely scuffed on the other...
I'm thinking of taking a belt sander to it in order to even things aout a bit :lmao

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
seat time :fact, you said you've only been riding for a year right? don't worry about chicken strips, they go away eventually.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
nobody mentioned that its all because the throttle is on the right side and when you turn right your hand tends have less room to manuver cuz of the tank and either give a lil more throttle or lil less thus messin u up for that right turn......thats my theory lol

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
I used to and sorta still do have the same problem with sharp right turns. When I am approaching a 90 degree right hand turn, I downshift to the gear I want, apply the brakes to the speed I feel ok with (it varies depending on conditions, which road, how comfortable, just try to increase it slowly if you're taking the same turn every day -- like on your route to/from work). I glance at the road in front of and through the turn to make sure there's no debris or oil in my way, then I look to where I want to end up after I turn. It's usually down the road. I then press on the right handlebar, lean a touch and apply the throttle -- all the while never moving my eyes from where I want to be.

I found keeping your eyes on your target helps. The bike will sort everything else out and after a few passes, you'll slowly be going smoother and faster with it. It just takes time and confidence.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
seat time :fact, you said you've only been riding for a year right? don't worry about chicken strips, they go away eventually.
:fact

I found keeping your eyes on your target helps. The bike will sort everything else out and after a few passes, you'll slowly be going smoother and faster with it. It just takes time and confidence.
Always watch where you want to go. After my 'get-off' last year, I focused on this through EVERY turn. It made such a difference in confidence it's a joke. Seriously though, just make sure there is no debris and trust yourself through the turn, while watching an object where you wish to be.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Couple things... They call um chicken strips for a reason... For whatever reason ur scared while making ur right hand turns. Some people have a harder time turning towards their throttle hand... Just focus on a few things, such as your body position in comparison to when you make a left turn, and also make sure ur not locking ur elbows, especially your right elbow when making a right hand turn. I good body position will have your face down near your mirror, try to kiss it, and your elbow well bent, as well as mostly just your outer cheek on the seat... Hope I explained that well enough... Get rid of those chicken strips! haha
no some douchebag in the taco bell parking lot called them chicken strips to inflate their ego and make themselves feel like a better rider. chicken strips mean nothing. i used to care about chicken strips but then i changed my "crowd" to track only and nobody cares.

good advice tho on the rest of it for real.

Hey, don't forget your tire wears more on the left side due to the crown in the road. So if you're just looking at tire wear, the right turn problems could be your imagination.

-D
the crown of the road is not going to affect the wear on the last inch of the tire......

nobody mentioned that its all because the throttle is on the right side and when you turn right your hand tends have less room to manuver cuz of the tank and either give a lil more throttle or lil less thus messin u up for that right turn......thats my theory lol
watch a video pointed where you can see the hands while on track (since thats what we are concerned with here), the position of the bars/hands doesn't change very much at all when turning even the sharpest of turns on track, they're primarily straight and don't move much at all. street yes different story. but you have the same amount of "room" both sides whether you're turning right or left.

Thanks everybody for thier advice. i'll take note of all of this next time i ride.(which will be in a few hours..lol) i'm going to work on my body position on my right handers hopefully i see a difference. i'm trying to get my self prepared for some track days that are coming up. so i want to be able to corner abit better then now before i head out there.
biggest thing that helped me out was relaxing the outside arm, keep a conscious effort to rest it on the tank while leaned over to the right. i was the same as you, left turns were easy i had to work on my rights, now i've surpassed my ability of left turns with my rights and need to work on my lefts now.

just takes practice and seat time and relax and have fun!

waving to friends and family that are watching, even passing on the outside with hands just relaxing:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ive been increasing my seat time by alot being able to ride year around is awesome. currently been riding with a bunch of experienced riders trying to pick up some good tips. my right handers have been improving. i've been working hard on being faster around corners. I'm also excitied to hit the track for the first time this year.

·
R6= ORGASM. Repeatedly.
108 Posts
I practice doing figure eights in a parking lot down by the shipping yards in town, helped alot for learning to righty's and lefty's. I desire more then anything to get to a track for the first time ever though...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts