Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents/ladies, got a question about wiring up fans to turn on manually on my 08.

++ Disclaimer ++

My 08 track bike heat soaks a lot after coming off the track (regularly see 220+ with fans running wild, doesn't exceed 227 from what i can tell). On the track, it stays around 180s~190s, normal operating range. By no means do I think operating temp is the issue, but I would like to mitigate the heat soak so I can shut my bike off in peace.

++ Logistics ++

If I had a way to manually control the radiator fans, I would flip the switch as I am coming off the track in anticipation of the temp jumping. The bike currently does not have a highbeam/lowbeam switch stalk, so I figured I can use that for fan on/off switch.

The way I understand is that the ECU sends a 12v signal to the fan relay which turns the fans off. I would like to keep this automatic fan control setup just in case the bike shoots past 214F without me noticing.

My thought was to take the light switch, figure out which wires are for highbeam (since lowbeam is on all the time), then connect the highbeam wire directly to the ECU signal wire.

Logic behind wiring up highbeam switch to fan relay WHILE keeping the ECU signal intact is so that I can switch the fans on prematurely & manually, while keeping the automatic fan function for safety.

Has anyone done this before? Tried searching the forums right quick but no luck. Any input and/or correction of logic/knowledge is greatly appreciated!

PFA - my ugly duckling

Attachments

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
I'm not familiar with the ECU output, but I'd have a diode in front of the ECU, so you're not sending voltage back into it from the highbeam circuit.

·
nova r6
3,211 Posts
When the bike "heat soaks" are you leaving it running while sitting in the pits and the temp comes up to what you are describing or are you leaving the ignition on and hitting the red kill switch to leave the electronics on and that is when you see the temp rising and the fans keep running?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I'm not familiar with the ECU output, but I'd have a diode in front of the ECU, so you're not sending voltage back into it .......
^ This makes sense.

Because I'm not personally confident in the reliability of some diodes, (if it fails open, it then prevents the ECU from signaling the relay,) I'd probably go the safer route of adding an independent relay with inline fuse. (the add-on switch's power could be sourced from the lighting circuit) Having 12v simultaneously supplied to the fan by both of the relays would be inconsequential.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I would leave the shit how yamaha engineers designed it and send the ecu off to be flashed with custom fan on/off temps. and a host of other settings they can do at the same time. you burn that ecu up with hacked wiring you're looking at $800 to 1200 for a new one.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
That's the benefit of having an independent relay. You're not modifying or potentially interfering with the existing circuit between the ECU and relay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts