Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.....

I just earned my learners permit and have registered for the beginers motorcycle course at the MVA. Anyways, I have never riden a bike before but really want to get one as you can tell. I really like the looks and performance of the R6, however I hear the YZF 600 (not R6 model) is very similer just a bit heavier and slower obviously. Some people tell me its too much for a first timer like myself to start on a R6 and that I should consider getting a smaller cc bike or the YZF600. I really want the R6 (looking for 2001) but I need honest feedback from your expierenced guys on what is recomended. Im 25, married, with 1 son...so Im not a wild man but I want to have fun and fullfill my fantasy of having a motorcycle.

Please give my your honest opinion on if a R6 is too much (performance) for a first timer, Im hearing conflicting advise.

Thanks to all !!!!!!!!! :cuss

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
obviously you are gonna hear pro's and cons to it. being that you are married, with a kid, you probably want to be around them for a long time yet so you're bound to be extra careful when riding. Which is to me, the most important thing. Any bike is dangerous if ridden like an idiot but ridden with a modecum of maturity and responsibility (which should be done anyways) I think you'll be fine with the R6. It was my first street bike. Be aware that a twist of the wrist to great and you'll be out of control quickly. Taking the course with it will help you to become familiar with it and then once you are done, find some nice quiet roads and practice. or a parking lot even. learn how it responds to sudden inputs like braking and stearing and learn your bike so when a situation arises, you can act without thinking. just my 2 cents and I'm sure contrasting opinions will be quick to follow.

ride safe.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Both bikes require self-control and demand serious respect if you plan to learn on them.

Here's something to consider... the R6 is tuned to deliver maxiumum power at very high revs. That's what I love about her, she's a pussy cat at 6000rpm, and a freakin' beast at 12000rpm.

The 600R is actually quite comparable to the R6 at lower rpms. Its not until you reach 8-10krpm before you start seeing any appreciable power difference... so if you trust your own ability to keep your head screwed on straight and respect the throttle... I say, go R6 :mrgreen:

Here's a dyno from SportRider magazine comparing a 600R to the R6 out of the box. I believe its from '99, so its a little antiquated. Yes, that's the 600R stomping the crap out of the R6 up to 10,000rpm. Keeping in mind that its a bit heavier, I would say they are comparable in power:weight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
oh yes, and do you plan on taking the course before buying your bike? if so then you will be learning on a 250cc POS before you get on your new bike. I think that would be ideal, this way you would get your chance to drop the clutch or brake in a curve and laydown a bike that isn't as pretty as the YZF :cheers

BTW, I started out on a 500cc commuter-style bike with 42 bhp. I'm a 28 year old grad student (i.e. I want to LIVE) so I ride responsibly. I got pretty bored with the 500 within about 4 months and 2500miles. But I don't regret starting small. I think those miles on a wimpy bike gave me the opportunity to concentrate on other important skills instead of being obsessed with the throttle at all times. I dumped my bike on the first day I rode it (no safety course at the time).. thank goodness it was an unfaired GS500 and not my YZF R6.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Take the course get the R6 and respect the hell out of it. The day you stop respecting the bike is the day you crash. Be safe in whatever you decide on.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ya either bike is fine for a begineer. it just comes down to self control. the r6 needs more than the 600 does. both will kill you just as fast. it really comes down to the reason you want to ride. if you are looking for comfort over performance get the 600. performance over comfort than the r6 is your thing. if you want the middle ground go foe the fz6 (i think thats it). its a good bike between the two. r6 performance and yzf comfort. either way enjoy and always respect it. and always wear your protection. :mrgreen:

and WELCOME :cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:roll: Thanks to all who replied, very helpful information. I always knew it was about respecting the bike and personal will power, I just wanted to see how serious expierence plays a roll in the whole think. Im looking at all these sites for first time riders that are saying the opposite like only get a 250cc bike and have it for at least a year and that most accidents occur between 6 months to 3 years of riding.

Well, I guess its up to me....O, I found a mint condition blue/white bone stock 2002 R6 for $6,100...any opinions on the price ?

:stupic

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought a 600R new in 2002...rode it for about 16 months and had nothing but problems with it...I hate carbs now!! I would definately go with the R6. I learned on the 600R which was nice, but I got the 2004 R6 now and love it. I think anyone could learn on the R6, you just gotta take it slow and get the feel for it. I do believe the 600R will be out of production this year, so the dealer says. Might be something to consider. Both good bikes, but hell, I would pay an extra $1000 or so just for the FI, let alone the badass looks and performance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I found a mint condition blue/white bone stock 2002 R6 for $6,100...any opinions on the price ?
Mileage? Know anything about how it was ridden? 6,100 sounds decent if its got a normal mileage for that year (2-4k). Keep in mind if you are from Ascenta's no-carbs school of thought that the 2002 is not FI. FI was added in 2003. The 600R is carbureted also, all years. If you have never ridden before, take an experienced motorcyclist with you to check the bike out... a great deal can turn out to be a money pit fast. Bikes can be pretty to the untrained eye and still have problems lurking (tires, chain, sprockets, brakes, fuel tank & lines, etc) that will cost more than you save in the deal.

I read in T.W.O. that the 600R is gone in europe next year because of emissions standards... could it be that yamaha is bailing out completely on this bike? that would be a shame... the 600R is a cool bike.

Click here for a really good checklist for evaluating a used bike.

have fun shopping :cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Out side of all the respect and saftey comments. One other thing to consider. The R6 is a sport out of the box race bike for the most part. The 600R is a more relaxed riding position bike. The new FZ6 is also a good option. It is still sporty and it has the more relaxed riding position. If you want to haul balls and damn the comfort then the R6 is right up your alley!! Don't worry too much about what bike is the best to learn on. Just sit on all the ones you are interested in and pick the one you like the best. If you are going to drive like a mad man more than likely you are going to kill yourself on what ever you choose. If you are a smart responsible rider then you can learn on a R6 and be just fine like me!

my $.02

·
Registered
22 Posts
[b]02 r6 4 sale[/b]

4 SALE 4 SALE: 2002 Yamaha blue/white YZF R6 with 5000 miles for $5,900.00 obo in great condition. Bike includes Yoshimura slip on exhaust, fender eliminator kit, Memphis shades 2 tone blue to clear wind shield, clear tear drop flush mount turn signals, black frame protectors, and clear tail light turn signals. Bike was serviced and on file, looks and runs great, very popular bike, two words that best describe it sexy, fast. Reason for selling the bike is I have decided to start school soon, the bike has never given me a problem and is just outstanding. If interested and have any questions or would like pictures my number is (715) 344-6771, email: [email protected] If your looking to turn heads look no further, my loss is your gain. Tony Location: WI

1 - 13 of 13 Posts