Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the bastard fowl hit me the other weekend, the only real mechanical damage the bike suffered was a broken nipple on the master cylinder, the one that the hose that feeds fluid to it from the reservoir connects to. I'm loathe to pay $150+ for a whole master cylinder to sort this, when there is obviously nothing else wrong with the core part. Can it be replaced? If so where can I source the part? Yamaha does not list it separately on the 08-13 fiche. I did find this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Cylinder-Connecting-Kit-Yamaha-YZF-R6-YZF-R1-YZF750-YZF600-FZR600-FZR1000-/290909819770?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222001&algo=SIC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=11&meid=7389838425516138496&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&sd=290905062683&

On ebay, but I being that the 05+ masters are supposedly Brembo I am suspicious of it simply for the wide range of fitments that are listed. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
From what I've heard from others, you can't replace it. You gotta get a whole new MC.

For me, I'd try everything to fix a plastic pipe before spending MC money. Eff that. Haha

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Red Rocket
588 Posts
Same thing happened to my old GSXR when I had it. Guy I sold it to put some double bubble on it (no, not the gum :laugh), and it stayed put really well. Only difference was that mine was on the bend on the hose at the reservoir, rather than on the MC.

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was hoping for some more confidence inspiring replies, but I'm gonna go ahead and order that kit and give it the old college try. I will let you all know if it works out. I wish they'd make that tube of aluminum instead of plastic, maybe it'd be less apt to break. This is the second one I've broken on as many Brembo equipped R6's.

Maybe if it works out you could look into selling them, Justin. I'm sure the demand on the board would be high, freaking things always break. I've still never broken a clip on handlebar, even tough everyone else seems to on a daily basis, knock on wood! :lol

·
Suk it, Lee
19,069 Posts
I have seen this on here a few times. '8BALL' found one that swaps over perfectly, from a kawasaki. You can just order the elbow, for a few bucks.

Yamaha doesn't have them, those pricks.

I'll search and see if I can find one of the threads, for which bike exactly.

·
Stunt Rider
7,981 Posts
Its fixable. Ive fixed mine. Works perfectly fine meow.

Ran the straight elbow rather than the 90 bend.

Kurvey girl site. Brembo res elbow repair kit.

Your welcome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updating on this:

The Kawasaki part is WRONG and is for a Nissin master cylinder.

The ebay part is WRONG and is for a Nissin master cylinder.

The KurveyGirl part is WRONG and while it comes with the correct seal and the nipple will technically work, it is the wrong external angle, length, ID, and OD, as it is a -rear- master cylinder replacement part.

I'm off to the Ducati dealer later, as I found a thread indicating that they sell the appropriate Brembo part as a replacement on the 748 and 998.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yeah what you want is the Ducati one. Not sure if you saw my old post on it but I posted the correct part #. It's the same one as the r6 elbow except the piece that goes into the tubing is slightly shorter.

·
Formerly UnknownResource
490 Posts
Went down on my bike a couple months ago, and I ended up breaking the nipple on my master cylinder, too. This is an 06 R6R. Split right in the corner. Ended up buying the 06 ZX6R nipple, and it wasn't the right one. Guess I didn't read well enough. After doing more searching, I came across what I believe to be the correct nipples.

One is straight: http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=110.3127.10

One with the 90° bend: http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=110.3127.20

Ended up buying 5 of the 90° ones, because there is a $25 minimum. Never ordered from this company, but when/if they come I'll update on if this works.

·
Stunt Rider
7,981 Posts
Went down on my bike a couple months ago, and I ended up breaking the nipple on my master cylinder, too. This is an 06 R6R. Split right in the corner. Ended up buying the 06 ZX6R nipple, and it wasn't the right one. Guess I didn't read well enough. After doing more searching, I came across what I believe to be the correct nipples.

One is straight: http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=110.3127.10

One with the 90° bend: http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=110.3127.20

Ended up buying 5 of the 90° ones, because there is a $25 minimum. Never ordered from this company, but when/if they come I'll update on if this works.

Ahahaha!!! I bought 2 myself from kurveygirl. No mini though.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,911 Posts
I have seen this on here a few times. '8BALL' found one that swaps over perfectly, from a kawasaki. You can just order the elbow, for a few bucks.

Yamaha doesn't have them, those pricks.

I'll search and see if I can find one of the threads, for which bike exactly.
Updating on this:

The Kawasaki part is WRONG and is for a Nissin master cylinder.

The ebay part is WRONG and is for a Nissin master cylinder.

The KurveyGirl part is WRONG and while it comes with the correct seal and the nipple will technically work, it is the wrong external angle, length, ID, and OD, as it is a -rear- master cylinder replacement part.

I'm off to the Ducati dealer later, as I found a thread indicating that they sell the appropriate Brembo part as a replacement on the 748 and 998.

Yeah, the Kawi part is for 2nd Gen Nissins, not the 3rd gen Brembo....

EDIT: ..and NOT for the 2005, either

·
Blue Horseshoe Loves R6!
47 Posts
This is an old thread, but very relevant...

I have seen some back and forth about what nipple piece would replace the broken Yamaha part. Pic for reference. I broke mine on the fairing stay after installing clip-ons and stainless lines. Apparently the master cylinder was too far forward and the nipple snapped with no effort while turning my handle bars. Would be nice if this piece was stainless steel, not sh*ty plastic.

The nipple can be removed from the oem master cylinder. (Mine is 2009 R6 R) You'll have to yank & wiggle it like a mofo, but it'll come out. I mistakenly ordered the kawi piece before finding this thread.

I'll be going to kurvey girl and ordering the replacement nipple shortly... I'll post pics of the finished job & how it operates to give a definitive solution to you all!

Attachments

·
Blue Horseshoe Loves R6!
47 Posts
Shout out to Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse for canceling & refunding my order! great customer service over there

·
Blue Horseshoe Loves R6!
47 Posts
Updates.. the brembo replacement elbow from kurveygirl fixes the problem.

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=170_177&products_id=525&osCsid=p31ko8289iu3sr90jmnhrnepf5

Step 1 Remove the oem elbow and grey rubber seal from master cylinder

Step 2 Insert new brembo rubber seal

Step 3 Push new brembo elbow into new rubber seal. Easier said than done. I used a small flat head screwdriver to push it in there

Step 4
The brembo elbow is slightly smaller in diameter then the oem, so you should pick up some 6mm tygon tubing to route to the brake fluid reservoir.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts