Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola fellow Geeks. I am finalizing my media server for the house and i am running into a road block when it comes to broadcasting the content to my TV in the bedroom. Its not a smart TV and from what i gather the odds of having a WIFI enabled BLU-Ray player with DLNA actually work are 50/50. No i do not have a PS3 nor and XBOX and dont plan on getting either. Just not a console guy.

Anyway i have seen a few devices that will gook into the TV via HDMI that connect to the wireless network and provide a bit of an interface. I do not want to get an Apple AIR and jailbreak the thing either.

So the question is...do you have this same set up? What do you recommend and what is the easiest way to go about this?

TIA.

·
Speedy Claxton
1,767 Posts
You dont want to get an apple air or an apple tv? I have an apple tv and its pretty awesome, but yeah, you would have to jailbreak to do what you want. Have you looked into the roku box or whatever its called? Theres only a few options i believe, especially since your tv doesnt have wifi. Hunt around on macrumors.com about the apple tv and see what you can find out about the roku box.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Raspberry Pi with XBMC works pretty well. You can pick up everything you need for about $50 plus the cost of a wifi dongle if you need it.

Google just came out with a device called Chromecast that may fit your needs but I don't know a lot about it.

·
Afghanistan 2010-2012
3 Posts
I approve of what buddahson says. It will do just fine.

If you feel like you can't put it together, get an WD media player. That's what I started with. New ones have built in wireless, HDMI, SPDIF, NIC and remote. Can pick the up for about 75-125.00

My setup is:

Custom built i7 with 8GB memory on 120GB SSD drive (os), 4 1TB WD drives in a RAID config
Win7 Ultimate running Servio Media Server

Connected through Ethernet:
55" LG 3D TV (living room) w/DLNA built in
37" Samsung TV (bedroom) w/DLNA built in

I love the setup, does everything I need. But you can do the same thing with the WD box

1 - 7 of 7 Posts