Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm a racer, and decided to buy a brand new R6 this April. Decked it out to the teeth, (spent around $23K total with the bike and all the race bits) and raced it. Love the bike, but now it's dead. Let me explain.

When I raced it on a Saturday, someone crashed into me causing it to go down pretty hard on the right side. I had the race shop fix the bike up for Sundays race the very next morning (yes, I was pretty banged up, but still wanted to get back out there) Bike was prepped and ready to shoot that morning. Great right? Bike ran like a sewing machine for all but the last lap of the race when it sputtered a few times, and then just plain died. Right at the last lap and almost at the finish line. What happened was it was failed to be checked if the radiator cap was tweaked or not. The radiator wasn’t leaking, but the cap got tweaked just a tad, and all the Water Wetter evaporated, eventually causing the engine to overheat, and finally die.

Well, let me assure you, the engine didn’t seize. Very thankful for that. Moving right along…I got a partial part of a coil out when it broke in half. The other half is still in there. I need to fish that out. I actually want to extract all of them out to change and inspect. Bike runs, but is obviously not firing on all cylinders. So my question is if any of you have dealt with this and had to extract your own coils/spark plugs.

From the internet search that I did, I see this phenomena (melted coils and broken spark plugs in the top head) is common among Triton Ford engines. There’s an extractor made for that specific size coil, but I don’t know for sure if that tool will work for my application. Anyone deal with this before? All of your comments are welcome.

I’m usually a Ducati guy (have three of them) and am very unfamiliar with Yamaha’s. So your comments are very welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is what I am proposing to do. Drop the motor so that I could easily access the coils. Drill very carefully into the coils half way and use a very long decking screw to attach itself to the other half of the plug. Toss some penetrating lubricant in it for several hours and try to extract it that way.

Possibly bang it from the top first down to break some of it free. Vacuum and blow some air in there to keep from all the material from going into the engine, of course. Then trying to extract it out. Let me know what your thoughts are.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
The ford had super long nosed plugs tha broke off. Not the threads but a smooth shaft.

You could pull the valve cover and you should be able to get your hand on them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ford had super long nosed plugs tha broke off. Not the threads but a smooth shaft.

You could pull the valve cover and you should be able to get your hand on them
BlueR6. Thank you very much. Once I get the engine out, I'll pull the valve cover if it'll help me. Thanks again.

quetion tho: Will pulling the valve cover mean I would "NEED" to replace the gasket as well to be on the safe side? The bike is brand new, so I want to toss that in there. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And here's what the coils look like:

2.5 of the coils are left inside still. So melted and swollen in there that I couldn't even budge the others out. I'll need to get the engine out in order to get a better angle and handle on them. If anyone has any ideas on how to coax the other half of the coil out, do chime in.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I've had mine off 5 or 6 times and I never replaced it. So far no leaks. Just torque the cover down evenly and little each screw at a time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had mine off 5 or 6 times and I never replaced it. So far no leaks. Just torque the cover down evenly and little each screw at a time
Thanks, Blue.

What is the torque spec for the small screws? Or do you just go by the "good n'tight" method?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just good n tight. The service manual has the specs if you want them. It's probably under 10ft/lbs
Thank you, good sir. It'll be a while before I can get the engine dropped for me to access all of this. But I will be sure to report back once I get there. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts