Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was pretty hot here in California, but I went for a ride anyway. Anytime I stopped at a light, the fan came on, but it was no big deal.

When I got home, I wiped down my bike, but I noticed the fucking plastic fairing right by where you change the oil was melted. It's not noticeable from the side, but when you sit on the sucker and look down, the damn thing clearly looks like it melted.

Has this happened to anybody else?

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
It has not been hot enough up here in NY for it to happen yet... I have noticed that the right side of the bike does get a lot hotter then the left. I wonder if it has something to do with air flow.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
thats crazy! i thought you change the oil on the left side? i could of swore i watched the dude take off my left lower fairing to change oil, mabye if differs from the years of the bike. that sucks dude, i got 10,165 miles on my 03 and ive been in the 100 degree florida weather, 30 degree winter weather, and rain downpour and my fairings are fine excepts where i layed her down, pics?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my bad. not where you change the oil. i meant to say where you check the oil level.

but the sucker is melted. i'll take a picture tonight or tomorrow. But that shit pissed me off. The highest the engine temperature got was 220, but I didn't think that'd be enough to melt the fairing. Man, i'm pissed.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I thought that was the problem at first, but the melted fairing isn't anywhere near the exhaust pipe. It's right at the part that curves upward. Right by the dip stick.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just have a regular slip-on. It's in the same position as the stock pipe and is nowhere near the melted plastic of the fairing. It's right by the dip stick. I know that area gets hot, but other parts of the fairing that are close to the exhaust aren't melted at all..

·
Registered
283 Posts
that sucks , should be under warrnty ???..... right ? , anywase i'v heard about this stuff called wetterwater and u add it to ur coolent, i'ts soppossed to make ur bike or car run 10-20 deg. cooler ......... anyone have more info on this get back!!!!!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but I brought it to the dealer, and they called yamaha to see if it's under the warranty. Supposedly the guys at yamaha are pretty good about approving things for warranty, but this time around, they're being a pain in the ass and they're sending a representative on Friday to actually take a look at the melted fairing before they approve me getting a new one free of charge... So now I gotta drop the damn bike off at the dealership tonight and pick up Friday night after the guy from Yamaha makes the assessment.

Man, what a pain in the ass. I'll let everybody know how it goes...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
left the bike at the dealer so that the yamaha representative could take a look at the melted fairing.

the verdict: the guy says it's my fault. he's saying because of the heat, I probably leaned it up against something or my leg leaned up against it and that's the reason for the melted areas.

i'm fucking pissed...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
thats some bull shit eddie. i woulda threw a big ole fit. sorry to hear about your bad luck. at least, from what i remember, you can't see it from the side only from your vantage point as the pilot.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, thanks for sympathy... it's still tough, though, you know what I'm saying? like having someone key your favorite car... although my car's a piece of shit, so the bike's the only thing i got...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.