Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered fairings from monster fairings and then they (finally) got here the headers are touching and melting both sides. I didn’t have this problem with my old plastics and they are saying that it’s not their fault (I used extra heat shield, it burnt straight through both layers.) I have a Yoshi Alpha T exhaust. Any help is appreciated

·
Administrator
224 Posts
Were your old fairings OEM or aftermarket? Do you have a full exhaust? That could change the positioning of the headers.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Drill holes and add stand-offs. The OEM engineered "stand off" for the exhaust pipe on my 2nd-Gen bike uses a (high-temp) silicon isolator.

Should be able to compare replacement to original, see the problem and compensate accordingly though.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Hardware stores will have the standoffs and fasteners. Might have something that is made from high-temp silicon but if not, can make something by purchasing a small tube of gasket maker from the auto parts store.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
171 Posts
Have you tried some heat shielding, like insulating tape? Or grip tape you'd use on baseball bats...?
Most aftermarket fairings aren't as high a quality as OEM unfortunately, and hence the higher price. IIRC, most aftermarkets are made of fiber-reinforced resins, not some high quality ABS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts