Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in the day on my zx7rr (back when that was the bike to have) I ran Metzelers, and they were the tire to have... Needing to replace the rubber on the 6 and found a set much like what I had....

Anybody have any experience with them?

I use this bike mainly for the commute, but I like to get after it from time to time and will probably be doing some track days next year... as for racing this year, mainly just put-up-or-shut-up races at the local 1320... nothing too serious...

and yes.. i ride in the rain.... ALOT...

last edit... I'm also thinking of going up to the 190... Am i going to have to move the rim back as to avoid the rear hugger?

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hows the M3 compare to other current popular tires?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Metzeler Sportec M3's and Michelin Pilot Powers are my personal favorites. Didn't particularly care for Bridgestone Battlax's or older Dunlop 208's... I am pleasantly surprised by the stock Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers on my 08 r6 though, stable and planted in long sweepers and they transition well in shorter canyon-style twisties! I will most likely be upgrading to M3's or PP's after this set has outlived their usefullness though ;)

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks!

I'm buying a set now! I'll let ya know..

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K... so Place in town that told me they could get the M3's is backing out...

And actually, I'm not upset... After some reading here... what's the Diff between the racetecs and M3s?

I do MOSTLY highway driving and need good wet traction..

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
K... so Place in town that told me they could get the M3's is backing out...

And actually, I'm not upset... After some reading here... what's the Diff between the racetecs and M3s?

I do MOSTLY highway driving and need good wet traction..

M3 is a tyre for the road, but it isnt multi compound, so the middle will wear out if you do straight up riding.
The racetecs are nearly the same as pirelli supercorsa's, ie not many miles on the road and poor wet grip.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any tyre you use is going to flat spot.

With correct pressures and suspension you should still get some good mileage from a K2 rear tyre but it will flat spot quicker then the M3

The SC2's are good too. They get hotter quicker but arnt as good when cold. They are better in the wet but take ages to get any temp/grip but they dont last as long.

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thread revival....

After 2 years, I'm just now wearing the centers out of my M3's.. They've been fantastic in the rain and give me a really great feel and communication on the streets.. they seem to heat up quick and stay that way..

I will definitely be buying another set at the end of this season, and will absolutely recommend them to anyone needing tires.

·
Come On Then!!!
137 Posts
:werd I've just taken my M3's on a track day & they held up well. they were on the bike when i got it so no idea how many miles they have done. they aren't a bad tyre. i was going to try the M5's next but after reading this months fast bike mag i'm tempted to try the new dunlop sport smart just out of curiosity. the M5's do sound good too though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts