Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:)
http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/204751/1/michelin-named-new-motogp-tyre-supplier.html
Michelin is to take over as MotoGP's Official Tyre Supplier from 2016.

The French manufacturer will thus return to MotoGP for the first time since 2008, the final season of open tyre competition.

Current exclusive tyre supplier Bridgestone recently announced that it would cease its role at the end of next year, prompting Dorna to open a tender for those interested in taking over.

"Interested tyre manufacturers were able to request the technical specifications from Dorna's Managing Director Javier Alonso, with three potential tyre suppliers initially expressing an interest – before Michelin alone made a formal tender before the 22nd May deadline," declared a Dorna statement.

"The next step in the process will be the drawing out of a commercial agreement between Dorna and Michelin as Official Tyre Supplier, Michelin having already clearly proven its technical abilities to respond to the needs of a demanding Grand Prix racing schedule."

Michelin won 26 500cc/MotoGP titles from 1976-2006 but then suffered a rapid decline in the face of growing Bridgestone opposition.

The Japanese manufacturer - which entered MotoGP in 2002 and won its first races in 2004 - took a debut MotoGP title with Ducati's Casey Stoner in 2007, repeating the feat with Yamaha's Valentino Rossi in 2008.

By that time only six riders remained with Michelin - Repsol Honda's Dani Pedrosa even negotiating a move to Bridgestone mid-way through the season.

The single tyre era began with Bridgestone the following year, with Michelin having elected not to submit a bid.

"The MotoGP Championship organisers have decided to use a single tyre supplier for the coming seasons, which effectively eliminates the competitive environment that has led to so much progress," a Michelin statement explained at the time.

Despite its previous stance, Michelin soon became favourite to take over the 2016 tyre supply once Bridgestone's departure was announced.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Awesome. I still don't like spec tire series as much

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I still don't like spec tire series as much
in club racing, totally agree. But even when Dunlop became the spec tire for AMA pro racing here in the states, you had to admit the racing was instantly better for viewing. No more preferential "Special" tires being given to the top contracted riders was the biggest thing that was no longer a problem, where you would see Matt Mladin or Ben Spies set just stupid fast qualifying times, then be able to check out in the race. Same with WSBK, WSS. The racing was just off the hook once you had a single mfgr.
Competition is good, but from a fan perspective, you need to see good close racing. Problem MotoGP faces in the premier class, is the huge divide in electronics is making the racing boring.. well, that and currently having the best and most confident rider on arguably the best motoGP bike. (Marquez on the honda)

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Helps keep things closer but what does a rider do when the tires they get are inferior to other off the rack options? I'm sure you know more than I do, but i've heard lots of people complain about the GPA tire saying for the same price some Michelin or pirellis are better.
Moto gp has gotten very boring. Fearless Marquez on the Honda beast makes everyone else look bad

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Helps keep things closer but what does a rider do when the tires they get are inferior to other off the rack options? I'm sure you know more than I do, but i've heard lots of people complain about the GPA tire saying for the same price some Michelin or pirellis are better.
Moto gp has gotten very boring. Fearless Marquez on the Honda beast makes everyone else look bad
at a spec tire series race, all the riders are on equal tires.. at least given the choice of the available compounds for that circuit on that weekend. Some bikes and riding styles will gel with the softer of the two choices for instance.

If a rider chooses to run an inferior tire when other brand options are offered.. well, that is that riders fault. Why any CLUB racer or track day rider would choose the ama spect tire, that does not have the ability to finish on the box consistently even with the inferior tire (to collect contingency award certificates), just blows my mind.

the dunlop AMA spec dot is inferior to the pirelli and michelin dot tires. But they are not the same price, those tires cost less. And at the AMA event, there won't be any riders on track with the better michelin or pirelli. Now that is not to say the gpa can't win club races ! But in club racing you have a dramatically different range of riding abilities, quality of bikes, setup capability, you don't have guys putting on a new tire for every race, etc.
In the pro races, everyone will be on a new tire for the race.. even for every practice session.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Michelin alone made a formal tender before the 22nd May deadline," declared a Dorna statement.
Winner by default :lmao

This still seems like a long way off, although currently it looks like the 2014 season might as well already be over...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts