Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the history of the Micron pipes not lasting?? I haven't heard anything about this before reading it here?? I love the way my micron screams. I hope that it wasn't money wasted!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
As long as you like it, I wouldn't consider it wasted money but there seems to be some issues with them cracking and fading. This could have been resolved with the newer cans but the older ones seemed to have these problems, atleast from what people who used to own them have said. You can also refer to Wolf's response in this thread to see what other factors lead can lead to any other carbon can fading and cracking.

http://www.r6-forum.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=11944#11944

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my Micron on my race bike for two years and race in 40 degree weather up to 110 degree weather and the canister looks as good as the day I put it on.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think he's refering to the color/fade ones. And as far as i know, most of the problems were ith teh red fade to black can. The Red eventually turned to pink.

I just didnt like Micron cause everyone and their dog had it.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
RedlineR6 said:
I think he's refering to the color/fade ones. And as far as i know, most of the problems were ith teh red fade to black can. The Red eventually turned to pink.

I just didnt like Micron cause everyone and their dog had it.
ya my dog has one and hes gettin tired of having his farts muffled so hes takin it off. :gas :mrgreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
The other awesome part of the Micron canisters is that when you damage a part, then that part can be change without un riveting the whole canister. Also, there are no visible bolts, very nice feature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know a couple guys with the black to red fade and both of the cans turned pink within a year.
They are a little large for my taste, but they sound nice.

They may not have bolts that are visable, but you have to use those springs that are ugly.
Thats what I like about my GYT-P slip on.. The can and the pipe are one piece, so there are no springs or bolts. Super clean look too.

nittyp :cheers

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
nittyp said:
I know a couple guys with the black to red fade and both of the cans turned pink within a year.

nittyp :cheers
ive seen that black fade to red pipe on an r6 here on maui. i noticed the red portion does look pink while the can is hot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the red area on mine turned pink and the black turned purple...it looked ghey but I swapped it for a c/f sleeve which looks killer!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a micron polished highmount. The thing sounds great, looks great, and keeps the passanger pegs for all the females who want a ride.It also cost me 70 dollars less then the colored cans and it wont fade. As far as the color fading problems goes, micron admited to another memeber of r6messagenet that there were a large amount of cans last year colored incorrectly. The guy also received a free sleeve upgraded to carbonfiber for the inconvience.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm a fan of micron's too, can anyone tell me if the fading problem affected the sold color alloys also. That would suck if it does. Also, from what I hear, micron makes a good fitting hight mount, but does it allow for the stock turn signals to remain?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
zlee said:
Also, from what I hear, micron makes a good fitting hight mount, but does it allow for the stock turn signals to remain?
no, it will not fit. not with the stock rear fender and OE turnsignals. now if you somehow mount it hanging down beside the rear fender rather out to the side then i could see it fitting. it would look stupid but it will fit.

just get rid of those bulky turnsignals and get a tail light integrator from vfx, custom led, md wright, or the ufo kit from hammy the can man.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
zlee said:
Also, from what I hear, micron makes a good fitting hight mount, but does it allow for the stock turn signals to remain?
no, it will not fit. not with the stock rear fender and OE turnsignals. now if you somehow mount it hanging down beside the rear fender rather out to the side then i could see it fitting. it would look stupid but it will fit.

just get rid of those bulky turnsignals and get a tail light integrator from vfx, custom led, md wright, or the ufo kit from hammy the can man.
I agree with stone, just clean up the rear with those signals by integrating them with your brake lights. I think most of us here did it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Micron Fading

I have only seen problems with the red cans fading. They seem to have stabalized all other color combinations. As for cracking - I havent seen it personally.

I wish that Kerker made the white tip still. I loved that pipe for racing. Throaty sound - great performance boost.

DK

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the Pipe..

As far as you being able to keep the stock turn signals, a few of you are wrong on that note. I just bought the Micron race slip-on in a high mount. With this kit they send you Signal relocater brackets that drop the stock ones almost 6" from there factory spot. Alot ask me why I am running stock signal, its simple really, I run alot of track days and its alot easier to remove those 4 bolts and unsnap the quick connects. The only problem that i have with the Micron was that the rear peg relocator just wasnt well thought out. It relocates the peg so far forward that im not really comfortable with the placement, i.e. its hard to hang off the bike without worrying about getting hung up on it. Other than that im very happy with this exhaust but you WILL need a PCMIII with this exhuast on a 03 R6 as you will run lean on the downside if you dont have one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts