Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid-pipe with a stock muffler, anyone done it? Seems to me that this would be better than just getting a slip on. Seeing that the stuck muffler is already titanium and has a pretty straight through design, and it would be a bigger weight loss than just a slip on too. Also this way you can keep that exup valve. I’m just looking for input, Thanks.

PS, Im a tight wad, so dont just tell me to buy both

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
same thing i'm lookin at doin, any help would be great.

·
Love to RIDE!
238 Posts
I'm running a mjsheader with stock pipe and I get so many guys that drool over the sound of my bike. Trust me you'll love it.

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
I have a t tuner and my stock can with the ex-up removed and it sounds awesome! You won't be disappointed. Its louder than my buddys gsxr 600 with a yosh slip on, and sounds way better.

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
I am doing this right now. Replaced the stock headers with mjs and lost 10lbs. Weighed them both. Exhaust is getting powder coated now. T

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
Haven't put the exhaust on yet. Not going with a PC. Had my 03rr with a two brothers exhaust slip on. No PC, never had a problem, ran stronger than others that had more. I honestly don't believe in PC's. They almost always cause more problems than they solve. T
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1o9TTkvJGH8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MvAB-3CezmQ

Not sure if this is with or without a PC...
Here at 5000 feet a stock R6 made 98 HP with my full system and BMC filter made 7.1 HP so 105.1 HP
MJSperformance.com dyno results 7.1HP R6 06-08

·
Registered
51 Posts
MJS did say that was without a PCIII. I know it made a gain on the top end, but I'm curious to see what happened throughout the entire rpm range without using a PCIII.

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
MJS did say that was without a PCIII. I know it made a gain on the top end, but I'm curious to see what happened throughout the entire rpm range without using a PCIII.
I exchanged emails with dustin and mjsperformance and one of them told me what the data logger put out on a system with exup functioning and no cat (there product in place) and no pc3. they said the A/F ratio was all over the place at lower rpms but above 9k everything was normal. the A/F ratio never got to lean or to rich though, just wasn't solid.

as long as you leave the exup in place nothing bad will happen (yes i know many of you think it has no purpose)

·
Love to RIDE!
238 Posts
I gained about 10 horses with the tune and techlusion programmer with stock slip on.

·
Sexy Time
763 Posts
Most people have problems with the pcIII because they never get them custom mapped

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
Just put the can on. Sounds great. Can't go for a ride now, it's raining. Will try and go tomorrow. I will have before and after video to show the difference. T

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
What do you mean nothing will happen as long as you keep the ex up hooked up. I don't believe the exup would keep something from happening. I drilled mine out of my can. What exactly do you think the difference is having it hooked up or not?

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
What do you mean nothing will happen as long as you keep the ex up hooked up. I don't believe the exup would keep something from happening. I drilled mine out of my can. What exactly do you think the difference is having it hooked up or not?
when you remove the cat and the exup, your spitting some of the explosion so to say into the exhaust during low rpms. the exhaust valves open very early on our bikes compared to most engines and this is what allows the 17k redline, but for the engine to work at low rpms efficiently you need back pressure. the bike will run without the exup just fine, but some extra throttle hesitation/bogging might be noticed. also backfiring can occur, alot depends on mods and riding style.

the only thing you really need to worry about is burning up the valves when you remove all restriction, but since our bikes have titanium valves it's not as big a deal. this is what i was told anyway by the stealership mechanic when i was asking about the gytr exhaust and removal of the exup. please correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I have my headers modified, I was planning to keep the honeycombs in the pipes. I don't want it to be too loud. I'm hoping the combination of the honeycombs, o2 sensor, and the exup will prevent the need for a PCIII.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I have my headers modified, I was planning to keep the honeycombs in the pipes. I don't want it to be too loud. I'm hoping the combination of the honeycombs, o2 sensor, and the exup will prevent the need for a PCIII.
According to MJS leaving the O2 sensor will eliminate the need for the PCIII. It takes a little while but the O2 will remap the ECM for the new setup. I don't have any experience with this but considering MJS's feedback I would have to believe him.

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
According to MJS leaving the O2 sensor will eliminate the need for the PCIII. It takes a little while but the O2 will remap the ECM for the new setup. I don't have any experience with this but considering MJS's feedback I would have to believe him.
our ECU's are more versatile than everyone thinks, our bikes can run E85 ethanol straight from the factory with no modification.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts