Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Starting to eat my R6
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 R6, 1200miles. I was letting my bike warm up this morning before a beautiful planned day of riding and seen a $*&# nail in my back tire. So needless to say i'm looking into tires.

Tried searching for this but i could not find much debate on Mis-Matching.

The stock Dunlop Q's are on it now. Should I get another Dunlop Q for the rear or is it ok to mismatch. The front tire still looks new so I dont want to change it.

Im only riding on the street, I do see some flats when commuting to work(have a little flat-spotting starting). But i also like to ride the twistys whenever I can. I'm starting to feel more and more comfy in the turns, have my chicken strips down to about 3/4-1"

Im looking at these Dual Compounds tires and they look good but I dont know about mis-Matching now that I'm trying to hone in on my cornering skills. And I really dont want to have to buy both.

So...Should I just go with another Dunlop Q in the rear until I have to change the front or will I be ok to Mis-Match

Thanks for all your help!

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
Stand back here come the "dont mismatch its wrong group"

I found out at the track, when i had to buy another rear, but he didnt have a matching one for the front i had on at the time, so i went out with dunlop q front corsa 3 rear.
Did it make a diffrence, eeerrrr no, o and it was in the fast group to.

On the road it makes even less of a diffrence, I wouldent have a problem mismatching, but some on here might, end of the day its you riding the bike.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Well, I'm not quite with the anti-mis-matching brigade... I do it all the time on the street. I've even done it at the track in the novice group, but I have never done it since moving up to intermediate. Since you're still so new to bikes, you won't be able to feel one bit of difference.

·
FAST 07 RED R6
200 Posts
Good To Know!!! Someone Had Told Me That Its No Good..i Have The Stock Dunlops On Front And Metlezer On Rear!!but Getting A Matching Front As Soon As I Get Some More Money!!

·
Newb On A Mission!
193 Posts
im doing the same. i have dunlop q in front and pilot 2ct rear..

i hate it!

front feels less gripy than rear now :-( so when i get money im changing it .lol :nocontrol

·
DARC Racing
2,334 Posts
Ive ran mismatched form time to time... Never noticed any difference... If both tires have good tread on them and fit in your budget.. give it a go...

Hell I run 1 street tire and 1 race tire sometimes if Im in a financial bind and need tires....

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
It is preferred to have matched tires. The big deal though is making sure the tires have a similar profiles and levels of grip. The profile is what controls how fast you tip in and how much tire is on the ground in the corner.

I always run matched tires because if I start sliding in wet conditions I want to know that I have similar levels of grip front and rear and this is where you see the biggest difference in the street tires with traction levels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Only time I've noticed a big difference is when I put a pirelli corsa 2 on the front and a dunlop slick 190/70 on the rear then changed to a diablo on the rear 190/50 and it would be easier to turn on streets.
Don't ask but its like what BlueDevilD said about the financial bind to temporarily have the rear tire a slick

·
Starting to eat my R6
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took my wheel up to the dealer today, the only tire they had that i was interested in was the Dunlop Q. Good price, so I bought it. I will give dual compounds a try when the front wears out. Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I remember reading somewhere a while back when I had a Roadtec Z6 on the rear that said to never mix that tire because for wet weather riding they need to be used together to properly channel the water...I dunno, maybe just a marketing ploy, or maybe it is something to take into consideration when riding*** :) in wet weather, Im not going to claim to know the engineering behind the tire.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
I want to try a PP2ct rear and leave my corsa III on the front. Ill do it and let you know what I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts