Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While searching the TX-DPS site for some motorcycle laws...ran across some info I thought I would share:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm

Texas Law requires the following equipment on Motorcycles and Motor Driven Cycles:
1. Wheel Assembly
2. Exhaust System
3. Tail Lamp (1)
4. Stop Lamp (1)
5. License Plate Lamp
6. Rear Red Reflector
7. Head Lamp (1)
8. Motorcycle, Serial, or, Vehicle Identification Number
9. Horn
10. Mirror
11. Steering
12. Brakes
13. Tires

I ain't puttin that RED REFLECTOR back on! lol

As for brakes and turnsignals:

TRC §547.323.

STOPLAMPS REQUIRED

(c) A stoplamp shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

(d) A stoplamp shall emit a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, that is:

(1) visible in normal sunlight at a distance of at least 300 feet from the rear of the vehicle; and

(2) displayed when the vehicle service brake is applied.

(f) A stoplamp may be included as a part of another rear lamp

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS REQUIRED.

(a)Exceptas provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps that indicate the operator's intent to turn by displaying flashing lights to the front and rear of a vehicle or combination of vehicles and on that side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.

(c) Turn signal lamps:

(1) shall be mounted at the same level and spaced as widely apart as practicable on the front and on the rear of the vehicle; and

(2) may be included as a part of another lamp on the vehicle.

(d) A turn signal lamp shall emit:

(1) a white or amber light, or a color between white and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle; or

(2) a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

(e) A turn signal lamp must be visible in normal sunlight at a distance of:

(1) at least 500 feet from the front and rear of the vehicle if the vehicle is at least 80 inches wide; and

(2) at least 300 feet from the front and rear of the vehicle if the vehicle is less than 80 inches wide.

TRC §547.602.

MIRRORS REQUIRED.

A motor vehicle, including a motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror located to reflect to the operator a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

So, looking through this, the UFO light is in no way illegal in Texas, and Texas law says nothing about the running light patterns. I may print this and keep it on the bike just in case tho! LOL

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
That would suck if you got pulled over for having no reflector on your bike.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I could put those damn RED reflective tag bolts back on...but I like my blue ones!

·
Registered
322 Posts
i heard that they are goin to make lane splittin legal in texas, like california, but it will only be so at speed under 30mph or somthin like that

·
Registered
14 Posts
does anyone know about the helmet laws in Texas...........jasfrmn do you get bothered alot by the po po for not haveing the light on the plate and no reflectors cause i just brought my bike down here from oklahoma and it doesnt have any of that and i live in mckinney.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts